What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen quite a few people doing this, and I can my own fruit preserves, so I understand the process.

1. How much RO water do you add to 1qt of 1.095 wort in order to make it a yeast starter? I see several references to 1.040 starters. I imagine this makes your yeast starter 2 qts?

2. How large of a batch are you brewing with a yeast starter of that size?

3. How long are you able to keep sterilized wort at room temp, or do you keep these in the back of the refrigerator until ready to use?

Awesome post, thank you for the info!

View attachment 605883

SWMBO still on board with the "hobby."
I put approximately 190g lme with about 800ml water. Some better measured than others. At 1.095 I'd need to about 1.3qt to get down to 1.040. I was trying as close as possible to get a 2l starter this gets me pretty close. Had I measured better if be a lot closer.

I typically Brew 10g batches. Depending on the Brew I do a 2l or a 4l starter.

Since these are pressure canned at 15psi they are completely sterile and sealed. I should be able to keep these at room temperature for a year or two. If you don't pressure can at 15psi you can't trust them for long. I honestly have been thinking about doing this for a very long time, and wouldn't even attempt it without a pressure canner. Wort is a perfect medium for botchulism.

Pressure canned 10 quarts of starter wort. They are all at around 1.095 so I should be able to open top of with distilled water and throw yeast in. Plenty enough for a whole year-ish of brews.

I put approximately 190g lme with about 800ml water. Some better measured than others. At 1.095 I'd need to about 1.3qt to get down to 1.040. I was trying as close as possible to get a 2l starter this gets me pretty close. Had I measured better if be a lot closer.

I typically Brew 10g batches. Depending on the Brew I do a 2l or a 4l starter.

Since these are pressure canned at 15psi they are completely sterile and sealed. I should be able to keep these at room temperature for a year or two. If you don't pressure can at 15psi you can't trust them for long. I honestly have been thinking about doing this for a very long time, and wouldn't even attempt it without a pressure canner. Wort is a perfect medium for botchulism.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. But instead I do mine from an all-grain batch. A whole year's worth of starter costs me about $15.00 and 1 brew day.

Hoppy Brew Day [emoji482]

Cooking up 6.5 gallons of
"SUPER BLONDE 53"

Just in time for Kick Off!
20190106_100301.jpeg

Spent the morning working for the boss at the brewery and worrying about my babies in my ferment fridge; huge windstorm last night, power went out at 1:30 this morning and just came back on at 3:15pm. The one I brewed yesterday got up to 75 per the fermometer, but it had a super fast start yesterday at 66 and should be ok....I hope. It's coming down now, gotta love that new dual controller. The other one in there is mostly done and just got a d-rest a bit early. New one's name is now Smashin' Hot Southern Passion.

I went with Buckeye Hydro (he posts here a lot).

I got a Chloramine Special RODI system. Local utility treats with Chloramine, while the water is good it's VERY inconsistent. They swap between river, lake and ground water all the time with no real notice. At homebrew scales, its far more economical to do RO and add salts I need than try to run a same day water analysis on whatever HRSD decided to put in the mains this week.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/chloramine-special-rodi/

I went with 50gpd, as it was a reasonable capacity to have that can fill my HLT overnight. DI is just an add on that I'm using since I do a little lab work in my garage so it keeps me from having to buy distilled.

I went with Buckeye Hydro (he posts here a lot).

I got a Chloramine Special RODI system. Local utility treats with Chloramine, while the water is good it's VERY inconsistent. They swap between river, lake and ground water all the time with no real notice. At homebrew scales, its far more economical to do RO and add salts I need than try to run a same day water analysis on whatever HRSD decided to put in the mains this week.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/chloramine-special-rodi/

I went with 50gpd, as it was a reasonable capacity to have that can fill my HLT overnight. DI is just an add on that I'm using since I do a little lab work in my garage so it keeps me from having to buy distilled.

Thanks for the info!

I'm bottling more beer for competitions so took some leftover parts and built a BierMuncher Bottle Filler. Just need to get a drilled stopper.
20190107_220251.jpeg

Checked final gravity on my Amber orange spice, O.G 1.080, F.G 1.026 ABV 7%. Cold crashing to low/high 40's since last night, will add Isinglass today for 4 day clarifying. Taste yummy! Can't wait till it's carbonated!

Well, I went down to get a hydrometer sample thinking fermentation was complete from last week’s brewday but evidently not. CO2 still thumping (slowly) in the blowoff jar. Let it ride.

Measured out hops for Bitter JO Imperial IPA.

This is for a 5g batch. How do you say it's hoppy. (Full disclosure.. Some of the hops are older, so I upped the amount to get the same AAU in the brew)
49346140_10157170884919284_1879201552397238272_n.jpg

Attachments

• BitterJOHops.jpg
    BitterJOHops.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 38
planned to clean three kegs but once i got into the keezer, realized the barleywine had, like, a pint left so i kicked it. took the opportunity the adjust the beer/gas lines in the keezer, they were a twisted mess.

mini disaster with the keg cleaning though. i have a homemade keg cleaner and damn if that thing didn't tip over on the first keg, pumping pbw all over the basement floor. i caught it when i heard some weird splashing but the damage had been done, about three gallons of solution on the floor. several towels and curse words later, crisi averted. towels are in the washing machine now..

Installed my @Buckeye_Hydro Chloramine RODI system today. It was a piece of cake..

BuckeyeRODI.jpg

Fixing the unholy amalgamation of Pex, Copper, Galvanized, QWEST and Sharkbite the previous owner had at the Laundry/Utility Sink took most of the day.
Plumbing.jpg

Took my wife to get LASIK and went to the LHBS to get grain and yeast on the way home. Priorities.

Cleaned a fermenter and unstuck my tap in the Kegerator with hot water. Have a cheap one it came with, and looks like I need to upgrade to a better faucet.

Packaged some specialty grains I brought home from the LHBS (used the gift certificate I got for Xmas), cleaned some kegs, and cleaned and sanitized my beer lines and faucets. I've got three batches in primary and the first one should be ready to keg this weekend.

Ran up to LHBS to get a bag of UNMILLED two row and some pilsner to do another lager this weekend; also got Tettnanger hops to do it the right way. And stopped at Home Depot to get a new corded drill to run the new grain mill, and of course had to play with it; now contemplating what lumber I need to buy to build a permanent stand for the thing. Weird to see unmilled grain in the garbage can I store my base malt in; dreaming of what it will turn in to while I sip on some truly yummy Pliny clone on my night off.

Getting ready to sanitize some bottles and bottle up my Amber orange spice. Still don't have my 1/2 Barb connectors from Amazon 2 weeks later! Stopped at Home Depot, all they had were brass npt hose barb connectors which I'm reluctant to use..I'm a stickler and advocate of stainless steel..so no brew pump test..will have to use the ol' hand siphon...heavy sigh...

Hung up some old beer signs in my brew space in the basement. Got them from a friend who was getting rid of stuff after his divorce.

qU5mnaE.jpg

I241IQz.jpg

hvnuCl5.jpg
OMG love the Strohs and Schlitz! I grew up in Detroit area many moons ago and Strohs was one our our go to beers in HS. I thought I was only one with a Strohs picture in my brew cave!

Kegged up my latest Bastard clone while waiting on the boil for the latest lager. Tastes great but has a smidgen of bubblegum that will hopefully fade. Getting ready to drag hoses around to set up the chiller, already have the tun dumped and cleaned out. Rest of the day will be some housework and maybe thumping the husband at cribbage.

Back