What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shared my porter, stout, IPA, and chili ale with a neighbor at my kid’s birthday party.

Turns out he used to homebrew and now he wants to do it again after a five year hiatus, so, play date sometime in the next week, lol.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

Finished cleaning up after yesterday's brew day. Walked by the kegerator and noticed that the bottle was empty. Had 800 psi yesterday.

There's one keg in the fridge which is still holding 12 psi. The two other gas lines still had pressure when I depressed the poppets in the QDs. That rules out the plumbing between the output side of the regulator, the manifold and the individual gas lines.

I'll have to make a trip to the welding shop tomorrow for a full bottle so I start the search for leaks. :(

i busted a weepy....i wanted to brew today, but as luck would have it....it snowed in S. AZ the first time in 5 years, and my hose is frozen! :(

AND I'M LOW ON BEER! (again, i know...i gotta get caught up, and stop this! i got 6 kegs that WANT to be full, but i can't malt and fill them as fast as they want it! lol)

edit: i don't maybe it's 'BD' (brewing dysfunction)

Hop spider came last night, pump connectors came too, but not happy, ordered stainless steel npt's and got brass..guess even mighty Amazon can get it wrong sometimes! Took 5 gallons of Orange spice Amber out of Cool Brewing Bag to raise temp and start Diacetyl rest 3-4 day

Took a gravity sample of my white Stout . Finished at 1.016 7%. Now time for dry hops, cacao nibs, and coffee in secondary.
IMG_20181230_201833918.jpeg

The only thing I can do for beer today is to submit a few quotes on the subject from many bright minds of days gone by, each of whom would, I suspect, have enjoyed the back and forth on HBT and likely been a serious home brewer.

Anyway, many of these you might have heard before, but here goes ... and a very Happy New Year to all!!

Sometimes, when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I did not drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, it is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true, than be selfish and worry about my liver.’ Babe Ruth. (1895-1948).

‘When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.’ Paul Horning. (1935- )

‘24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!’ H. L. Mencken. (1880-1956).

‘When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let’s all get drunk and go to heaven.’ George Bernard Shaw. (1856-1950).

‘Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.’ Benjamin Franklin. (1706-1790).

‘Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.’ Dave Barry. (1947- ).

‘Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 3000 B.C.’ W. C. Fields. (1880-1946).

‘Remember ‘I’ before ‘E,’ except in Budweiser.’ Professor Irwin Corey. (1914- ).

‘To some it is a six-pack. To me, it is a Support Group. Salvation in a can.’ Leo Durocher. (1905-1991).

‘Well, ya see, Normy, it’s like this .. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

‘This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

‘In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

‘Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells, but, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

‘In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

‘That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers!

Cheers, a TV Sitcom; Cliff Clavin to his buddy, Norm Peterson.

‘He was a wise man who invented beer.’ (428BC- ).

‘I have taken more from alcohol, than alcohol has ever taken from me.’ Winston Churchill. (1874-1965).

The beer gods must like me this week. Grain mill & brewing salts that were scheduled to arrive on Wednesday showed up today, and of COURSE I had to put the mill together and play with it...already milled two row that I had on hand is now double crushed and perfect. Hoppy Lager that got kegged a few days ago just got tapped and is delicious. New dual temp controller is set up and working on getting the ferment fridge up to 66 with the help of a heat lamp. And I don't know how it happened, but the new thermometer that Amazon "lost" was in the locker last night and works great (and even has a bottle opener on the end). Only sad part of this story is the hops husband ordered got delayed and won't arrive until Wednesday; so tomorrow will brew up a batch of the House American Strong that we love so much, that my brew boss was kind enough to donate the special roast I needed for it. And yesterday I got to be in on the inaugural brewday at the taproom. Oh yes a great week, and a fantastic brewday in the works for tomorrow. And tonight sharing devilled eggs and homebrew with the neighbors ringing in the new year.

Your hops are already getting started? I just cut mine down to the ground last week.

I am in SoCal, where are you getting such weather?
Orlando, FL. I planted them around end of October. The soil has never been that great to grow them here but I got some 7 gal felt plant bags and made my own soil.

Today is going to be a fun and interesting day. I’m pulling a double brew day and using 2 hops that I’ve never worked with before, Huell Melon and Medusa. The two beers will essentially be the same with slight variations in water profiles and grain bills. One will be a WC IPA and the other will be a NE IPA. This will give me a great indication how both hops perform On both the hot and cool side.

I have to make a run to the LHBS after work for supplies for this weekend's brew. My Vittles Vault came in the mail so I will be grabbing my first 55lb bag of grain with this run.
Things work great. We use them for the cat food but would def be great for grain storage

3rd day of diacetyl rest for Orange spice Amber ale cold fermented. Will be returning the brass NPT connectors that were supposed to be stainless steel, and will be replacing plastic head on my Mark II brew pump with stainless steel head.

Continuing to keep my barleywine at appropriate temps. After I had a brain bubble and underpitched the yeast 8 days ago I saw full krausen (~1") at 36 hours. It has remained and I will keep at 64-65° for another 2-3 days before raising the temp to 70° for a diacetyl rest.

Oh, and tonight I will add my pepper and oak chip vodka tincture to my smoked porter and hope to bottle that in 7-10 days.

New grain mill got one hell of a workout on NYE. Long story short; boss' supplier screwed up and didn't mill the 16 bags of grain that got delivered last week (and we didn't find out until we were opening them prior to mashing in on Sunday). Fortunately he had 7 milled bags in stock so that brewday went well...fast forward to NYE. Just about to settle into some serious sampling of what I have on tap and get a frantic call; his mill is DOA, can I bring my new little mill to the taproom? That little beast chewed through 330lbs of two row in about 2 hours. And some of that was hand-cranking until one of his regulars brought a corded drill to help us out. Glad I was able to help him out, and if his supplier makes it right by replacing the unmilled bags, I get a bag of unmilled grain to play with.

Had to send my 2nd pair of npt connectors back to Amazon, this time they sent me monster 1/2-150! I think Amazon is in cahoots with my wife, attempting to keep me from doing a test run on my brew pump, thus impeding my God given American right as a home Brewer on the path to becoming a Master Mad Zymurgyst! Fermentationalist party members of the world unite!

I don't like wasting good stickers on things that may have to be replaced. Beer fridge/hop freezer was looking a little empty. Turned these into magnets so they can be reused in the future. A couple I had, most are from @pshankstar from the last FotD. Still have a few more to make. Any new stickers I get will be made magnets because....why not
20190104_212044-1.jpeg

I don't like wasting good stickers on things that may have to be replaced. Beer fridge/hop freezer was looking a little empty. Turned these into magnets so they can be reused in the future. A couple I had, most are from @pshankstar from the last FotD. Still have a few more to make. Any new stickers I get will be made magnets because....why notView attachment 605766
That's how you do it.. Improvise, overcome, adapt

That's one of my next projects. I HATE cleaning kegs and carboys

I love it! One of the best DIY projects I’ve done that I feel is priceless.

I run it for 15 minutes with cleaner and then another 15 minutes with hot water. Sometimes it requires some scrubbing but it’s minimal, more like wiping off some spots.

Pressure canned 10 quarts of starter wort. They are all at around 1.095 so I should be able to open top of with distilled water and throw yeast in. Plenty enough for a whole year-ish of brews.

View attachment 605841

I have seen quite a few people doing this, and I can my own fruit preserves, so I understand the process.

1. How much RO water do you add to 1qt of 1.095 wort in order to make it a yeast starter? I see several references to 1.040 starters. I imagine this makes your yeast starter 2 qts?

2. How large of a batch are you brewing with a yeast starter of that size?

3. How long are you able to keep sterilized wort at room temp, or do you keep these in the back of the refrigerator until ready to use?

Awesome post, thank you for the info!

IMG_4827.JPG

SWMBO still on board with the "hobby."

Back