What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attempting to resuscitate some yeast! Bought some yeast 1450 (Denny's Fave) about 3 months ago. They aren't out of date but when I looked in the fridge, where they have resided since date of purchase, somehow the pack was activated... Shiznit. But I am determined to try and grow them out in a starter. I will post once I determine viability.
.Return of the yeasty Dead! Good luck, probably be ok since refrigerated

Cruising the usual online sites for a 3-4 gallon fermenter for small batch lagers that will fit in my half fridge. Torn between 4.7 gallon glass wide mouth and stainless steel 4 gallon conical.. decisions decisions..I'm a stainless steel fanatic

Made up my mind about smaller fermenter for 3 gallon small batch lagers...instead of the 4.7 gallon glass wide mouth, I ordered the Anvil 4 gallon stainless steel Mini conical with built-in rotation spigot! Guess I was toying with my mind..I knew in the end it would be stainless steel! Wife was "overjoyed" at the prospect of more brewing equipment! I had to man up and put up a determined fighting defense of my newest acquisition! It was an epic battle, but my unshakable determination won the day...NOT!! Whined like a babe and begged pretty please . That was the decisive blow! Brewing victory for the Fementationalist Party at any cost!

Last edited:
Today I drilled the holes in the stainless steel tubing I am using for a chiller stand, for my counter flow chiller. The one and one half inch tube will be welded in a cross shape with a base so it doesn't topple over. I will mount the chiller to one of the arms. I will mount a future chiller to the other arm, so I can use one chiller for ground water and the other with ice water and then straight into my fermenter. This will be a big upgrade for me as I only use one chiller now. It takes a lot longer having to knock it down from boil temp to around 90 degrees with ground water, and then changing the hoses around and then using ice water in the mash tun to pump the ice water through the chiller to get it down to pitching temps. This upgrade will solve that problem and very quickly reduce my chilling time!

John

Today I drilled the holes in the stainless steel tubing I am using for a chiller stand, for my counter flow chiller. The one and one half inch tube will be welded in a cross shape with a base so it doesn't topple over. I will mount the chiller to one of the arms. I will mount a future chiller to the other arm, so I can use one chiller for ground water and the other with ice water and then straight into my fermenter. This will be a big upgrade for me as I only use one chiller now. It takes a lot longer having to knock it down from boil temp to around 90 degrees with ground water, and then changing the hoses around and then using ice water in the mash tun to pump the ice water through the chiller to get it down to pitching temps. This upgrade will solve that problem and very quickly reduce my chilling time!

John
I'm in the process of converting my old immersion chiller to have garden hose connectors on both ends. My plan is to run ground water through the immersion that will be in a bucket of ice water, then to my counter flow.

My brew today went in the fermenter at 90, then into a pre-chilled ferm chamber. Got it down to 70 in about an hour.

My 5L flask didnt fit in my beer fridge, so i cut a slot in the top shelf(used to be a ferm fridge so I dont have the real shelves.) Also got my Grifo bench capper, and tested it. It's awesome, a testiment to quality.
20190127_004836.jpeg

My 5L flask didnt fit in my beer fridge, so i cut a slot in the top shelf(used to be a ferm fridge so I dont have the real shelves.) Also got my Grifo bench capper, and tested it. It's awesome, a testiment to quality. View attachment 609384
Dear God man, support that shelf before those beers fall and die! It's already bowing!

Trying to get motivated to clean up the kitchen so I can roast some more malt. What I did last weekend seems too light, and I need something darker to brew up what I'm calling a Cascadian Dark lager next weekend. Also gonna steep 100g each of what I did last weekend to see what color/flavor I will get. Yes I know the grain is supposed to rest for two weeks after roasting, but what I did last weekend tastes fantastic with no burnt weird flavors. It's been in paper bags in the garage since then. Big competition coming up in March (Cascade Brewers Cup) that I want to have at least two entries for; hoping this will be one of them.

A bit of bottling of my cream ale will free up a fermenter for my Cackalacky common. Then I will attempt to disassemble my mashtun's valve and see how to get it draining again. Otherwise it will be a BIAB kinda winter, brewing wise!

Got a cart on wheels with drawers to store and sort all of my gaskets, O-rings, and a crazy amount of brewery spare parts, so they are all in one place now instead of all over my garage in different spots. Put everything in it and I am all set. Feels great and nice and tidy!

John

My 5L flask didnt fit in my beer fridge, so i cut a slot in the top shelf(used to be a ferm fridge so I dont have the real shelves.) Also got my Grifo bench capper, and tested it. It's awesome, a testiment to quality. View attachment 609384
I see you have some Michigan Founders in there! Nice! Founders Dirty Bastard is one of my Fav! Their Porter is nice too. Haven't had the Breakfast yet.

Kicked a keg of Dunkel last night so tapped a keg of Scottish 80/- that will serve as my Winter Warmer this year and brewed a Strong Bitter this AM. It’ll be in line after the Golden Ale on deck.

Got 3 new #7 drilled rubber stoppers delivered for my Anvil conical which I'm impatiently awaiting. Comes with a silicone bung which I've never used. I'm sure silicone is fine, but you know sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog like me new tricks!

Bottled a bunch of home brew off the kegs before the subzero temps roll in. Bottling in the garage keeps everything nice and cold to minimize foaming and waste. My wife thinks I’m crazy but agrees it’s the best time to do it. Especially since I have a comp day to use.

Latest posts

Back