12 Beers of Christmas 2013 Edition! (Need Brewers!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! One more to go. Got you added stblindtiger. Who's up for the Crabapple Lambicky Ale??

Regarding the Fruitcake Old Ale. In Mosher's book, the estimated color is "deep reddish amber." When I enter the recipe, I estimate ~36 SRM which is basically pitch black. BTW, my system has an efficiency of ~70%, so I am adjusting the amounts slightly (but even with his numbers, we're talking 90% efficiency (!) and 30 SRM). Special B has an SRM of ~147*L and Carafa II has an SRM of ~400*L. The amounts specified for the grains can't possibly combine to form something that's deep reddish amber. But anyways, I also notice that the grain totals (percentages) are incorrect (they sum to 103%). I will fix the percentages so that they correspond to the actual percentages when the recipe's grain weights are taken: Munich is 67%, Amber is 23%, Special B is 8%, and Carafa II is 2%. I'm also going for a medium body so I'll mash at ~154F for 60 min. I plan to use WLP028 (Edinburgh Scottish Ale) yeast and ferment at ~64F. I thought about "pitching" the dried fruits (once hydrated) directly in the primary after fermentation. I think another two weeks on the yeast won't harm things, and since primary fermentation will be complete, the yeast won't scrub the dried fruit flavors and aromas. What do you think? I will then rack and cold crash before bottling. I also thought of kegging (since I keg), carbonating to a level slightly higher than appropriate, and then bottling. So we're talking about one week after kegging it will be bottled. There is a slight loss of carbonation when going from keg to bottle with my system, so that should leave a nicely carbonated beer in the bottle. With a little age, they should turn out nicely in December. Any comments? Perhaps even from those who've made this one in years past? Thanks!

Working recipe: http://www.spiritedprick.com:4352/brewsheets/2013-08-08_fruitcake-old-ale.pdf

Yup, I plan to brew this guy on Aug 8 with an estimate of bottling on Sep 18 (~3 months before sampling time).

Regarding the Fruitcake Old Ale. In Mosher's book, the estimated color is "deep reddish amber." When I enter the recipe, I estimate ~36 SRM which is basically pitch black. BTW, my system has an efficiency of ~70%, so I am adjusting the amounts slightly (but even with his numbers, we're talking 90% efficiency (!) and 30 SRM). Special B has an SRM of ~147*L and Carafa II has an SRM of ~400*L. The amounts specified for the grains can't possibly combine to form something that's deep reddish amber. But anyways, I also notice that the grain totals (percentages) are incorrect (they sum to 103%). I will fix the percentages so that they correspond to the actual percentages when the recipe's grain weights are taken: Munich is 67%, Amber is 23%, Special B is 8%, and Carafa II is 2%. I'm also going for a medium body so I'll mash at ~154F for 60 min. I plan to use WLP028 (Edinburgh Scottish Ale) yeast and ferment at ~64F. I thought about "pitching" the dried fruits (once hydrated) directly in the primary after fermentation. I think another two weeks on the yeast won't harm things, and since primary fermentation will be complete, the yeast won't scrub the dried fruit flavors and aromas. What do you think? I will then rack and cold crash before bottling. I also thought of kegging (since I keg), carbonating to a level slightly higher than appropriate, and then bottling. So we're talking about one week after kegging it will be bottled. There is a slight loss of carbonation when going from keg to bottle with my system, so that should leave a nicely carbonated beer in the bottle. With a little age, they should turn out nicely in December. Any comments? Perhaps even from those who've made this one in years past? Thanks!

Working recipe: http://www.spiritedprick.com:4352/brewsheets/2013-08-08_fruitcake-old-ale.pdf

Yup, I plan to brew this guy on Aug 8 with an estimate of bottling on Sep 18 (~3 months before sampling time).

It all sounds good to me. But yeah I've had to tinker with his recipes too to make them fit with my system (~60-70%). Most of the time if I put them into Beersmith I need about 80% efficiency to hit his O.G.

I don't have a lot of experience with fruit, but as long as you rehydrate with boiling water like he suggests, I think you'll be fine. That should kill anything that could contaminate the beer.

I also saw that this beer got rave reviews the past two years. Have fun!

For anyone thinking about the Crabapply Lambicky Ale, it doesn't look too difficult. You basically just rack a pale ale onto some crabapples and let it sit for a couple months.

Awesome! Happy to be a part of this! I'm getting excited to brew this, it looks like a lot of fun! Mosher talks about the option of adding a Lambic culture in secondary, as well as subbing in some smoked malt. I actually have some lightly home (applewood) smoked malt on hand that I was thinking of subbing in for the pilsner malt.

Anyone have any objections about me doing both to this beer? Souring (well as much souring as it is going to do in a couple months in secondary anyway) and adding smoked malt to it?

I figure why not, right?

I have some strands of Brett on hand (B, C and, L), or I can pick up a tube of white labs/wyeast smack pack for the souring. Any preferences about that?

Thanks, and again, very excited about this!

stblindtiger said:
Awesome! Happy to be a part of this! I'm getting excited to brew this, it looks like a lot of fun! Mosher talks about the option of adding a Lambic culture in secondary, as well as subbing in some smoked malt. I actually have some lightly home (applewood) smoked malt on hand that I was thinking of subbing in for the pilsner malt.

Anyone have any objections about me doing both to this beer? Souring (well as much souring as it is going to do in a couple months in secondary anyway) and adding smoked malt to it?

I figure why not, right?

I have some strands of Brett on hand (B, C and, L), or I can pick up a tube of white labs/wyeast smack pack for the souring. Any preferences about that?

Thanks, and again, very excited about this!

Sounds fine by me... I think we should all feel free to stray a little from Mosher's recipes as long as the beer is largely inspired by the original. Or if you want to go based strictly by the recipe, that's cool by me too!

Is the cranberry lambic still available? If so, I'll take it.

Still available. All yours.

WE HAVE 12 BREWERS. :rockin: Please keep us updated as you brew. Pics are always nice. I will be brewing the bourbon spiced stout in early September.

I will be sending out PMs for everyone's email so that we have a secondary form of contact just in case. Or if you're awesome you could just PM it to me. :)

Thank you to everyone who has sent me their email so far. Still need a few more, PMs went out this morning.

Plan to brew the Fruitcake Old Ale next Sunday 8/4. Should be carbonated and in the bottle by ~9/21.

jgourd said:
Plan to brew the Fruitcake Old Ale next Sunday 8/4. Should be carbonated and in the bottle by ~9/21.

I am planning to brew the Spiced Cherry Dubbel this weekend too so I can give it as much time on the cherries as possible!

I will try to take and post some pics of the brew day.

It would be interesting to know how many of us brewing the 12 beers are extract, partial mash, or all grain brewers (at least specifically with these beers). And it would be way cool to have everyone take and post pics of their brew day and other cool things like toasting grains, racking on fruit, etc.

I'm an all grain brewer. Been brewing since 2008. I've brewed 82 all grain brews since then and 23 extract brews (the last one in early 2010). I like a variety of styles but tend to prefer IPAs (American West Coast style). I'm about to brew 55 gals of lambic to fill a 60 gal barrel. I'll pull some a year from now to sit on a variety of fruit. And we keep brewing... :p

It would be interesting to know how many of us brewing the 12 beers are extract, partial mash, or all grain brewers (at least specifically with these beers). And it would be way cool to have everyone take and post pics of their brew day and other cool things like toasting grains, racking on fruit, etc.

I'm an all grain brewer. Been brewing since 2008. I've brewed 82 all grain brews since then and 23 extract brews (the last one in early 2010). I like a variety of styles but tend to prefer IPAs (American West Coast style). I'm about to brew 55 gals of lambic to fill a 60 gal barrel. I'll pull some a year from now to sit on a variety of fruit. And we keep brewing... :p

I've only been brewing for about 1.5 years, but caught the bug hard and fast. I mostly brew all grain and that's what I will be doing for the Cherry Dubbel. I have brewed 22 different beers (5 extract and 17 all grain). I tend to prefer the hoppier or yeastier beers (pale ales, IPA's, Belgians, etc.) rather than the maltier beers, but there have been very few beers I didn't like!

55 gals of lambic! Wish you were closer to me so I can occasionally brew you some fresh lambic to siphon off 5 gal out of the barrel!

Spiced dunkel weizenbock will be brewed this Saturday or Sunday. 3 week primary, 2 week secondary. Hopefully in bottles by 2nd week of September.

All grain by the way.

Wow, 55gals of something so tough to control, you are brave! Good luck in the most earnest of ways.

I brew all grain, around 50 batches now total (maybe 10 batches extract) for around 3 years. My house styles are basic, but I love tasting funky, or hoppy stuff. Im really excited for the 12 beers of christmas!!

55 gallons!! You have a brew system that big? Or are you brewing multiple sessions?

The tripel I brewed last Friday is all grain BTW

I also saw that this beer got rave reviews the past two years. Have fun!

The Fruitcake Old ale definitely has been one of my faves both of the past 2 years...I had actually planned on brewing that one this year if I had been participating. I think I'm going to brew it regardless sometime over the winter for next year...

I brewed extract for 2 years back in my early 20's and then after 15 years got back into brewing when I learned about kegging. Been brewing all grain for the last two years now. Trying to figure out the best time to brew the Honey Ginger IPA. Originally I thought I'd wait awhile since I prefer IPAs on the fresher side, however the "honey in the secondary" part of the recipe has me reconsidering this. I've never done a secondary sugar addition outside of racking onto fresh fruit. Anyone have a ballpark idea of how long it would take 2lbs of honey to ferment out in the secondary?

55 gallons!! You have a brew system that big? Or are you brewing multiple sessions?

The tripel I brewed last Friday is all grain BTW

My system is 11 gal. I'll brew a 5 gal "starter" a few weeks ahead of time. Then for brew day 1, I'll brew 11 gal and my friend will brew 14 gal (his system). We'll do it again the next day. So a two-day brew to fill the barrel. I'm leaving 5 gal head space for the krausen.

I brewed extract for 2 years back in my early 20's and then after 15 years got back into brewing when I learned about kegging. Been brewing all grain for the last two years now. Trying to figure out the best time to brew the Honey Ginger IPA. Originally I thought I'd wait awhile since I prefer IPAs on the fresher side, however the "honey in the secondary" part of the recipe has me reconsidering this. I've never done a secondary sugar addition outside of racking onto fresh fruit. Anyone have a ballpark idea of how long it would take 2lbs of honey to ferment out in the secondary?

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess 2-3 weeks would be enough time in the secondary? If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on the airlock and call it bottle-ready when it stops bubbling after honey is added.

The Fruitcake Old ale definitely has been one of my faves both of the past 2 years...I had actually planned on brewing that one this year if I had been participating. I think I'm going to brew it regardless sometime over the winter for next year...

I'm also tempted to brew myself a batch of this sometime early next year for consumption around Christmas 2014.

I'm an all grain brewer. I've been brewing for almost 4 years now. I've brewed at least 50 beers.... I've lost count, but in my notes I counted 49, and I know there were a few more I didn't put in there. I've won a few medals in some good sized competitions (400-800 entries) and had one beer advance to the second round of the AHA Homebrew Competition this year.

I have no idea how this Christmas Gruit will turn out though! Smoke, honey, Saison yeast and a sour secondary???? Lol... It should be interesting that's for sure!

I'm going to use some lightly home smoked (applewood) 2-row instead of the pilsner, so it won't be over the top smokey. Also going to use basswood honey because that is what I have. Not sure what I'm going to use to "sour" it... Might just add some Brett to funk it up a bit in Secondary, especially considering time restraints. I keg so that should help.

How many of us keg? I usually bottle off the keg so there won't be any sediment in the bottles to be stirred up while shipping...

Planning on brewing it this weekend, so I'll add some pictures to this thread!

FermentedTed said:

2-2.5 weeks should be plenty. Just rack to secondary after the bubbler (or blow off) slows down. You'll still have yeast in suspension... if all else fails just take a gravity reading to b sure.

How many of us keg?

I also keg, but might bottle condition the Dubbel. Not sure yet. I pretty much have my recipe set, but I am on the fence regarding when I will add the sugar additions. The recipe is going to use 1 lb of dark candi sugar and 1 lb of unrefined/raw sugar. I was thinking of adding the raw sugar at the end of the boil and the candi sugar a couple days into primary fermentation. What do you guys usually do? All at end of boil? All after a couple days of fermentation? Combo deal like I am thinking?

I also keg, but might bottle condition the Dubbel. Not sure yet.

I'm on the fence with this as well. I've run into issues a couple times where I felt like the beers I bottled off the keg were undercarbed. Might practice with the beergun on some kegs I currently have and see if I'm happy with the result. I prefer to dry hop in the keg, so this would be ideal.

No kegs for me... Yet. So I will be bottle conditioning. I figure I will have about 15-17 bottles left over after shipping anyways so it will be good to let a couple of them age until next Christmas to see the changes a year makes.

Is everybody or anybody planning on fancy Christmas labels? I've never labeled any of my batches. Just usually mark the cap for identification. Think I'm going to have to spend some time finding a witty name for my beer and designing a label.

I almost excusively bottle, so I will be bottling the quad. I have some sickness where I actually find joy in bottling. I don't usually label, but I have been working on some labels, and if it is good enough, I will ship em labelled!

I will be bottling as well. I haven't begun kegging yet :)... Also planning on putting a fancy christmas label on there!

I think I will keg one batch and bottle the other (the ones that will be sent). I plan on making 10 gals so that I can have plenty to age.

I also keg, but might bottle condition the Dubbel. Not sure yet. I pretty much have my recipe set, but I am on the fence regarding when I will add the sugar additions. The recipe is going to use 1 lb of dark candi sugar and 1 lb of unrefined/raw sugar. I was thinking of adding the raw sugar at the end of the boil and the candi sugar a couple days into primary fermentation. What do you guys usually do? All at end of boil? All after a couple days of fermentation? Combo deal like I am thinking?

For my dubbels, I usually add only candi syrup (it's the best for flavor) near the end of the boil. I would do the same for candi sugar (maybe 15 minutes).

Got my starter going last night!

P.S. I will also try to label these beers.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

I got my starter going last night also. Using WY1007 German ale in mine. Ill probably step it up tomorrow morning and brew day Sunday.

Back