Not happy with the LHBS here in calgary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosnowsk8er

Reaction score
Well every store i've gone to they've havnt really offered to much help and kind of just blow me off like i'm some punk, maybe its because i'm younger but whatever just because i'm not 50 like them doesnt mean i'm not going to spend money @ your store...well i'm not now... thats forsrue, I cant say there all bad, there is this one guy down @ the vineyard south (the only store that sells grain in town that i've found) that is really good, so i guess i'll just hope he stays working there and keeps up the good work!

anyone else have problems like this or is it just me...

My wife is from Calgary and we were there for Stampede last July.

I have no comment on the LHBS situation but there were two outstanding brewpubs there. One was both downtown as well as on the outskirts but I can't remember the name. Brewsters maybe?

The other one was Wildwood. I was pretty impressed and asked the waitress if the brewmaster was on the premesis as it was a Sunday and the place was pretty empty. Turns out he was right behind me and was more than happy to talk about his craft and give me advice. A very nice guy who I would definately get to know if I spent more time there.

I can't wait to go visit the in-laws again.

I think that's why it's so hard to get a brew-club going around here. It seems most of the local homebrewers are too old and set in their ways to take us younger guys seriously.

People my age, at least locally, just don't seem interested. The LHBS here is only open 5 hrs a week, only on Fridays. That's even IF he decides to be open that day. I had to order bottles from him a month ago. Still haven't gotten them. what kind of brewhop doesnt stock bottles??

I was so pissed, I called a buddy and we made a 2 hour road trip to a different brew shop.

We left w/ about $300 worth of stuff. :rockin:

I wish I could stay loyal to my local brewshop, but it's really hard when he's either closed or has nothing in stock.

The guys at my LHBS are real nice, but not the best place to get advice. They teach a beer class every few months and in my opinion, they don't teach the best way. It is a great place to get stuff, but I get better advice here on HBT.

prosnowsk8er said:
ya i know what u mean, i'm 23 but you know i havnt ever seen anyone my age in any of those places lolb

You are in a miniority my friend. Most younger guys prefer the BMC brews and distain the brews we produce as "swill ". I started brewing when I was about 21 and kept it up on and off for the past 29 years or so.

Sucks though that any store should make you feel like that.

Same here in Salt Lake City.

Not friendly.

LHBS in general I feel have to have some sort of snobery.

I've had a similar experience here in Des Moines, Iowa. There is one brew shop that is positively crap, doesn't even try to keep the hours it posts on the door, answers the phone with "Whatddayawant?!". I think the owner just keeps it open for a tax number so he can buy wholesale.

On the other hand there is a very decent place owned by a young guy
(I'd say mid-late 30's). Very passionate employees, great selection of craft brews and fresh stock of grains and extracts. No pretense, they seem to really want to sell you supplies and make it easy for you.

In your situation if a good place doesn't exist I would go online. Decent as my one LHBS is, it doesn't have EVERYTHING had to go online to get Bullion and some New Zealand variety hops.

This is a bit of a resurrection, but to be fair it is an ongoing issue. I have switched my LHBS several times in Calgary. If they aren't trying to rip me off, I found they were telling me to Eff off. The Vineyard has to be the worst service I ever experienced. A know-it-all jerk doesn't seem interested in talking craft at all.

I usually make the trek to the Wine Warehouse now despite it being out of the way. Great service, pretty good selection, good prices.

If you get to know some of the YW guys, you'll find some of us do bulk grain and hops orders monthy and mfg most of our own equipment. We have a tig welder, some lathe guys and a healthy supply of corny kegs.

You'll have to excuse the vinyard. Home brew equipment isn't worth squat and I think their focus is the wine kits. It's nice of them to carry homebrew equipment, but at the end of the day I wouldn't expect too much if it's not their primary focus. They usually have a good yeast and hops selection as well.

Makes me grateful to have our LHBS in Halifax, they stock every type of grain and hops you could ever want. Brew sculptures, conicals just everything. Hell you can even phone in recipies, they'll make them up and you can just pop over and pick up your kit.

For being called "The Noble Grape" it seems like 70% of the store is dedicated to beer :)

Back