Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the south is the smartest, and most typical of the bunch. Ever heard of "fedexing" something? That's using the most popular brand as the generic name for the entire industry. How bout xeroxing something. Same thing again. Just google it; there's another one. If you had been in the south for 6 years, he would've asked for a Coke, and gotten something similar to what he intended.

Lots of brand names are used as replacements for product names - in many parts of the US you'll see Band-Aid for bandage, Kleenex for tissue, Advil and Tylenol for Ibuprofen and Acetominophen (or however it's spelled - it's called paracetamol or something in most of the rest of the world anyway), and so on. FedEx isn't one I've heard though unless it's referring to the actual service. If you said you were going to Fedex something to me and it came on the UPS truck, I'd think you were a weirdo.

The brunt of the Coke debate is that all of those other things are more or less distinct products where swapping one for another doesn't make a significant material difference to most people. Carbonated soft drinks, on the other hand, come in a wide variety of distinct styles and flavors and can't really be exchanged for one another in most cases. Most varieties of soda are significantly different from Coca-Cola, so assiging the name of Coke to the whole category risks confusion. It would be akin to calling all fast food restaurants McDonalds. "Hey guys, we're going out to get some McDonalds." "Oh, great, pick me up a seven layer burrito and some nachos."

I agree - once again, this is coming from someone that lives in an area where that map says we predominantly call carbonated soft drinks "Coke", and I can dispute that with facts.

It's called "soda" around here.

*EDIT* Of course, it seems that all beer around here is called Bud Light. But that may be because 90% of the beer drunk around here is Bud Light...

:(

Last edited:
Lighten up, Francis. The guy's been a member here less than a month. He found a (really, really, REALLY) long post that interests him, and has been working his way through it.

Sure, reviving a long-dead thread with a new reply is typically bad etiquette. But heck, this thread has no point, has been a convoluted mess (with countless derailments) from the start. So what if a post from 3 years ago gets quoted? This thread has never been "dormant" for more than about a week, so it's not like it's being drug up from the archives of the forum.

Edit: On another forum, we had a name for it. There was a thread (kind of like this one, or the drunken ramblings thread) that would routinely go through 30-40 pages of new posts EVERY DAY. One regular ("Webfoot" is his screen name) would go camping for a weekend, then come back Sunday night and get caught up. Sometimes it was entertaining just reading his posts as he went through the 100+ pages, commenting as he went. Hence, the term (in that group, at least) "Webfooting".

I just think it's a hassle to the poster. If I comment on an earlier post, then I end up at the end of the thread. I rarely go back to keep reading old posts at that point.

From what I am reading here it sounds like maybe the mods sjould just delete everything that is over a couple of months old.

Personally, I think a lot of the old posts are more worthy of comment than many of the new ones.

So if we were to apply this to the topic;

if the predominant brand replaced the word "Beer" you could order a BMC and expect a SNPA

I'll have a Bud, the SNPA one.....

It's really not hard. It doesn't apply to everything in your life. Just cokes.

And "coke" is actually a pretty funny word when you think about it...
when you've had a few "beers"...

In Alabama going into the store:

Do you want a coke?

Yeah, get me a Dr Pepper.

In Michigan:

Do you want a pop?

In New England:

Do you want a soda?

In some other part of the nation:

Do you want a soft drink?

Not confusing, unless of course, you wish to be obtuse.

Alabama?

giggle.gif

That explains it.

Fact: the South is not a single genre of culture/accent.
There are multiple dialects of the southern accent. Mountain, peach, bama, gulf, delta, methtuckian, vergeenean, and hoiti toitian.

Knowing that, and growing up in and traveling the south, I can't recall anyone every saying they want a coke when they wanted anything other than a Coke. Also, I have met very few southerners that drink Pepsi...

Can we get back to beer already?

Also acceptable in the South, instead of "Coke", is "Co-Cola"

It can get get confusing if you want a different brand of cola-flavored beverage. I.E.: "I'll have me a RC Co-Cola!"

Also, "Orange Coke" (aka: Orange Co-Cola) is probably more popular than the previously mentioned "Grape Coke".

Also acceptable in the South, instead of "Coke", is "Co-Cola"

It can get get confusing if you want a different brand of cola-flavored beverage. I.E.: "I'll have me a RC Co-Cola!"

Also, "Orange Coke" (aka: Orange Co-Cola) is probably more popular than the previously mentioned "Grape Coke".

My head is spinning... operator, can I get off the ride now??

Billy
Feel free to liberally dole out the berry punches as needed to derail this derail. After all, as long as you get the beverage you are seeking, what difference does it really make when you are standing in front of the pearly gates awaiting St. Peter's approval.

:goat:

I find this to be entertaining. Let the good times roll. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Latest posts

Back