Did my beer turn out rotten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skonk

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first homebrew, and I used brooklyn brew shop's "Everyday IPA" kit if you're familiar with it.

Anyways I just moved my beer to bottles for conditioning, and I can't tell if the beer is bad. It's difficult to describe, the beer has definitive hop character and maybe the malt is lacking. The flavor is pungent and bitter and seems to linger in the mouth. And I mean linger, it feels like you're breathing this flavor after sipping. It coats the mouth.

My best guess is I wasn't able to extract enough sugars from the mash during sparging and they were mostly eaten up during fermentation, leaving mostly only the oil from the hops left over. Is it possible that this is infected?

The 1 gallon jug is not deep enough for me to get a hydrometer reading. There was no blowoff, never really a "vigorous" fermentation stage, but there was CO2 coming off the airlock and a layer of trub formed about a half inch thick.

Did you take a gravity reading before you fermented or before you bottled? If not then it's really going to be impossible to know if you extracted enough sugars.

However, that does not mean all is lost. Beers prior to conditioning and carbonating tend to taste a bit off. Give it 3-6 weeks in the bottle and then see what comes out before you form an opinion.

Just bottle it and taste it when it's all ready. It's only one gallon of beer so you can learn from your mistakes. It's doubtful it's infected because more than likely it would taste sour.

The oil feeling could be from the hops. It will settle out. Time in the bottle and carbonation will make a huge difference. You cant judge your beer just yet. As Don advised, let it bottle condition, then try it again.

If you aren't taking a gravity reading, wait an additional week before bottling it. You want to make sure fermentation has stopped.

Back