ulcers are flaring up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting an offer in on a house tomorrow, and it's been keeping me and SWMBO awake and our stomach's churning for a while now.

I don't know if I have enough beer to get me through this....

-walker

It's one of the most stressful things you'll ever do! Fingers crossed for you all!

Nothing better than moving into your first "I own it" house....though the "Honey Do" list is neverending.

BeeGee said:
Glad to hear you made a decision! Get ready for writer's cramp.

from signing things, you mean? Maybe I'll go get one of those rubber stamp signature things instead.

-walker

Walker said:
i wonder where i'm going to hang my disco ball... hmmmm.....

wherever you want-it would be your house!. As for the writer's cramp, yeah. it is brutal. I am in my second house and 6th mortgage since 1999, and there are more forms each and every time. I found a couple mistakes on my first one, and ever since I do go through each page that is not a boilerplate doc, and some that are. I couldn't sign my name right for a week after those days.

Truble said:
....though the "Honey Do" list is neverending.

I'll second that. I don't really mind the honey-do's though because she does 100% of the laundry, 99.9% of the cleaning, 90% of the cooking, and about 75% of the cat box duty (I gag every time). But I still make a big deal about fixing a leaky faucet or hanging a picture because I want to maintain the illusion that I'm pulling my weight. :p I also kill 100% of the spiders, which offsets a big chunk of the stuff she does for me because she's deathly afraid of 'em . . .

AHU

AllHoppedUp said:
I also kill 100% of the spiders, which offsets a big chunk of the stuff she does for me because she's deathly afraid of 'em . . .
AHU
Keep yourself in a 'job', don't kill em! - just exercise a covert 'catch and release' policy to the back yard. I'm a fully paid member of the Spider Union'!!!....;) :D

I'm in my 9th house. Can't even begin to count re-fi's and the paperwork just keeps getting worse. My last sale was mangled by the buyer's agent's husband. Not kidding, he had zero training, no license, etc. His wife signed things to keep it legal. I handled my side of things, including showing the house, as I didn't want people around my greyhounds while I wasn't there.

david_42 said:
I'm in my 9th house. Can't even begin to count re-fi's and the paperwork just keeps getting worse. My last sale was mangled by the buyer's agent's husband. Not kidding, he had zero training, no license, etc. His wife signed things to keep it legal. I handled my side of things, including showing the house, as I didn't want people around my greyhounds while I wasn't there.

Ditto on all this. I took selling the old house and my wife took buying the new. I have 2 Labs, so I needed to coordinate all the showings. The people I eventually sold to backed out 3 different times. I finally told their agent that I would not accept deals less than what I wanted, as they were trying to low bid. -the buyers WERE IDIOTS!!! I ended up doing all of my work plus most of their side, as their agent was incompetant too. I was on a tight timetable, so I couldn't wait while they F'd around. All was worth it in the end....

i've bought and sold 2 houses, and each experience was not bad at all. and both times (selling and buying) we did it ourselves, no agents. maybe i ws lucky?

divorce and quiting my job is/was WAY more stressful than that ever was.

congrats and good luck Waker!

Walker, if it will ease you a bit let me say that millions of people do it every
year. The first time is always nerve racking but you'll look back and wonder why you
were so freaked out. It's just something new..uncharted territory...but you'll
get through it and you will be glad you did. I'm assuming you bought a house
you could afford. This is mostly where people go wrong and try to take on
more than they can handle. You don't sound like that type person so I'm sure
ya'll will be just fine.

Walker said:
I don't know if I have enough beer to get me through this....

There is always Southern Comfort. You know for some reason I have never really got drunk on beer. It has always filled me up before that point. Now Southern Comfort is a diffeent matter all together:drunk:

Man, this is timely. My wife just put in an offer on our (potentially) first house tonight, too. I was all gung-ho on it. Now I'm friggin' scared!

You send good vibes my way, and I'll send some yours!

If you aren't concerned while making the largest investment of your life, you probably aren't spending your own money! For all of the hassles involved in buying a house, most deals go through once the offer has been accepted. Refi's are a different story. I had one cancelled after the paperwork had been completed, approved, etc. Everything except sending me the check, POOF!

I think that everyone will agree that, though paperwork is a hassle, and trying to line everyone's schedules up for closing can be a pain sometimes, it is very much worth it. Like Sudster said, the biggest thing is buying a house that is right for you. I have known a lot of people that bought big thinking that htye would eventually be able to be comfortable, and ended up needing to sell-you don't sound like one of them. Enjoy it, and learn the process, 'cause most everyone will do it more than once...

DeRoux's Broux said:
isn't that what the homebrew's for? :D ease his pain......

look back several posts, DeRoux! I'm running low on homebrew due to a clerical error when taking inventory.

Maybe I'll mix that SoCo and Mylanta together and make it a new cocktail; "Homebuyers Elixir".

------------

We did all the papework last night with our agent and put an offer in this morning. Things have gotten a little nasty since then due to some complicated circumstances on both our part, as well as on the seller's part.

I won't go into all the details, but the summary of things that have started to complicate the matter is:

the seller wants to close now, rent it from us until the school year is over, and then move.

we have a lease on our current rental until the end of July.

those two things make it sound like this should be easy, right? we buy and rent it to them, and fulfill our lease at the same time. everybody moves in the summer and all is good.

that would be true except for the fact that these mofo's refuse to pay a fair rental price for the house!

it's really f'ed up on their part... they want a high price to buy the house, but are only willing to pay a small amount of rent for it. Talk about an oxymoron! The house is either worth a lot or it's not, you can't have both!

-walker

Walker said:
I won't go into all the details, but the summary of things that have started to complicate the matter is:

Dude unless you are absolutely in love with this house--I'd go to the agent and let him tell these jackals to go play in a busy street.

Plenty of other real estate out there.

yeah, the problem is that we are pretty much in love with the house.

we made a laundry list of things we wanted to have in our ideal house, and decided we would search until we found a house that had it all.

after months of looking around, this is the only house that we have found that has it all. We found one other house that ALMOST had it all (the yard bordering on too small), but it was the same price and size as this one we are haggling over, so it is clearly inferior.

phone is ringing... wish me luck.

don't you really just hate people sometimes?????

Find out how much your mortage and taxes will be per month, and make that the minimum. If he balks, explain that you are not going to take a loss so that he can rent it. If he doesn't have the scratch, then total it up and deduct it from the selling price (this will actually save you interest dough in the long haul). I would also then make him sign a separate "lease" for the house stipulating that he is responsible for 1 month's equated rent if he is late moving out, and that he agrees that he can be evicted if he does not move out on time, as well as the standard 1st and last month's, and security deposit. If the money is deducted from the price, write that into the lease, but still get a security deposit.

Truble said:
don't you really just hate people sometimes?????

Find out how much your mortage and taxes will be per month, and make that the minimum. If he balks, explain that you are not going to take a loss so that he can rent it. If he doesn't have the scratch, then total it up and deduct it from the selling price (this will actually save you interest dough in the long haul). I would also then make him sign a separate "lease" for the house stipulating that he is responsible for 1 month's equated rent if he is late moving out, and that he agrees that he can be evicted if he does not move out on time, as well as the standard 1st and last month's, and security deposit. If the money is deducted from the price, write that into the lease, but still get a security deposit.

We've done 99% of this. Our current rent and estimated mortgage payment are the same. So, as long as they are willing to pay that amount for rent, we an probably move forward and finish this thing off, since this ensures tat I will not be double paying on anything.

As part of our offer, we had to include a rental contract. The rent price was set fairly through the end of June. If they have not gotten out by then, the rent gets REALLY heavy for the month of July (it triples). At the end of July, they absolutely must be out of the house.

The rental agreement also includes a security deposit (equal to one month's rent) and I've pretty much made up my mind already that if we end up renting the place to these 'friendly' people, they are not going to get a single penny of the security deposit back from us. I'll keep it as "azzhole tax".

-walker

Demand that 300% of the rental agreement goes into an escrow account that doesn't settle until they are out and you've checked everything over. Make a video of the interior and exterior of the house, including all fixtures that are mentioned in the purchase agreement. Renting mixed in with a sale is the worst possible situation.

We got the house, and managed to slide in just BARELY below the price we had personally set as The Absolute Final Offer prior to starting negotiations.

I'm still considering stiffing them on the security deposit, though. Punks.

-walker

For a while you'll be doing work around your new house and it will be fun and exciting because it's your new house and you'll have a HB to celebrate doing work. After a while it will become work and you will have a HB to celebrate finishing the work. After even more time passes, you will pay someone else to do the work and have a HB to celebrate the fact that you aren't doing the work! :)

Congratulations, it's nice to have the rent money going towards something instead of down the drain eh?

Congrats!

We should hear something tomorrow. Our situation isn't quite as complicated as yours, though. At least not the buying part. The moving-in part is going to be painful, though!

XTrmXJ said:
WAAAAaaaaaaaaaa.... cry about it Sam

Actually what I was referring to was that it's going to be damned tough for my wife to move in there while I'm TDY down here. Kinda hard to take leave on a TDY like this. She's got enough to deal with as it is. I'm hoping it works out so I can trade a shift or two and get up there for a few days to at least do the heavy lifting, and help get her apartment cleaned.

Good to hear things are moving forward, Walker. HB for all :)

Hope things work out for you and your wife, Sam.

Back