Starts to develop nasty taste as time goes on...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
My first brew started out very bad, I used way to little water. As bottles gold older, they developed a very strong metallic twang to them. I fear this is happening with my second batch...the bottles are a week old now, and are starting to taste sort of metallic. But they were delicious a week ago. What could cause beer to taste worst and worst over time?

homebrewer_99 said:
It could be your water...too much copper (did you use a DIRTY wort chiller?) or zinc.

Do you get a water composition sheet from your city? If not ask for one.

In the meantime go here:

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.6/flavorwheel.html

And have a look. Also do a search on the subject.

I didn't use city water though...I used bottled spring water.

Also, the strange thing is how much stronger it gets with time. I am using a *very* cheap stainless steal pot of dubious quality, but surely if that were the problem the metallic taste would come through from the beginning? I own the book "Brew Chem", which has that flavor wheel, and looking under "metallic" the author only suggests the pot as a potential problem.

It's a very strange flavor.

In my experience the metallic taste was been caused by over carbonation. Having said that, I think if you bottled (I don't) and had overcarbed you'd lose half the beer as soon as you opened the bottle.

/Phil.

There are a few other causes of metallic flavors, such as oxidation of fats in the grain kernel due to poor storage conditions. Read off-flavors, maybe one of those descriptions fits the flavor better. I took an off-flavor seminar at OSU and learned to connect the verbage to what my personal perceptions were. Several flavors were very different from what I had thought they whould be.

Latest posts

Back