Has anyone tried Jasper's Homebrew Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunCountry

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a little over a year now with about 20 kits under my belt, most of which have come from Northern Brewer. But I've recently become interested in making a barleywine. I plan to make a batch in January and age it until next winter. NB only has one offering of extract barleywine, which doesn't seem very interesting using only 12lbs of amber malt. Info: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BarleyWine.pdf

So in my search for a barleywine that is hopefully complex and rewarding, I've come across Jasper's homebrew and their "Stupid brain barleywine". Info:
https://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/stupid_brain.pdf

This one seems more of what I had in mind, but before I get & brew this kit then wait a year to see if my troubles were worth it, I figured I would ask for feed back on this kit/recipe. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm considering the Bourbon barrel barelywine kit because I had a sample of this style at a local brewery recently that was possibly the best beer I've ever had, but I figure I could wait a few months to make this one only because it has vanilla, which I know fades over time.

I haven't tried that kit, but Jasper's is my LHBS and back when I was using their kits I never had one I didn't like. I'd suggest calling them, they're very knowledgeable and will be able to convey what the flavor will be like.

I would go for it. I have a thread going down farther about tweaking a barleywine recipe to boost abv. Seems like anyone who has successfully brewed extract above 10% racks onto a yeast cake of a previous batch.

While I haven't made their barleywine, I just brewed another one of their recipes today. I like their 1G recipes and plan to brew most of them before trying the 5G versions of the ones I like.
Tony

I also tasted a Barleywine in Portugal and I thought "this is the best beer ever".
So I tried to find Barley Wine Beer Kits.

I have one Beer Kit Muntons Barleywine that fermented for 4 weeks and was bottled 2 Weeks ago.
And I have one batch of Woodfordes BarleyWine fermenting. It will stand in the fermenter for 4 weeks.

I will let you know how it turns. But only in a few months...

I ordered my supplies from Jasper's today for a 6 gallon batch of the Stupid Brain. I shopped around for the ingredients and even with Adventures in Homebrewing being my LHBS it was cheaper to go with Jasper's. I called after I placed the order to see when it would be shipped and they threw in the bottle cap stickers at no charge. All of my experiences with Jasper's have been top notch and I will continue to use them in the future.

I'll report back after the brew and hopefully in a year with the results.

Now I just have to decide on my yeast mixture for the brew.

Bottle Cap Stickers? I haven't seen those on their site, I probably didn't look in the right place. Maybe it's only with certain 5G recipes?

Yea, I like their 1G recipes, they seem to have more or as many as everyone else and they're more affordably priced.

Ive never seen the stickers advertised. They have just always came with the kits. I adjusted the recipe to 6 gallons with a 5 gal boil and brewed it last night. Pitched a 2L starter of WLP099, 007, and Wyeast 1028 then threw it in my new ferm chamber at 64*. OG after the starter was 1.134.

Not to hijack this thread, but after less than 36 hours I lost over a gallon due to the krausen blow off. Started thw ferment with just over 6 gallons. Just a heads up if anyone does this - split into 2 batches or use a big conical.

View attachment 1447474210361.jpg

Back