Cider guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixerman

Reaction score
Hello friends. I'm a recently retired Vermonter who has been making cider for four years. I pick a variety of drops from a local orchard, grind them into pulp and press using my homemade rig which works great. I press enough to fill three or four 5-gallon carboys. I've been very happy with my cider, but am always looking to improve. I've done extensive reading and have spent hours searching various forums in my quest for knowledge. One of those searches led me to your forum, which is the only one that impressed me enough to join. -Rich

Welcome! Have you tried making wild cider? Malolactic fermentation? Keeving?
Thank you. Good to be among those in the forum.

Each year I keep one 5-gal carboy of cider "natural," with no treatments or added yeast. I just let nature do its thing. It's interesting to compare the difference with those which I do treat. Both have been delicious.

I'm not familiar with malolactic fermentation or keeving. For now, I'm just looking to get good at what I'm doing before branching out.

Hello friends. I'm a recently retired Vermonter who has been making cider for four years. I pick a variety of drops from a local orchard, grind them into pulp and press using my homemade rig which works great. I press enough to fill three or four 5-gallon carboys. I've been very happy with my cider, but am always looking to improve. I've done extensive reading and have spent hours searching various forums in my quest for knowledge. One of those searches led me to your forum, which is the only one that impressed me enough to join. -Rich
Welcome. Newbie here as well. Agree, this seems a good place to be but I'm just starting, 11 days in with my first try at Apple Wine and 6 days of my first hard cider. I feel like a little kid waiting for the candy store to open.

Back