Allowing a mixed culture to express itself.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellrested518

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I procured a wild culture from some flowers growing around the house and pitched it into a farmhouse pale ale. Stupidly, I didn't think my hop additions through and overshot with my ibu's resulting in little to no acidity.

While the beer has some beautifully fruit forward funk (pineapple & stone fruit), I was wondering if I could blend a portion of this batch into some unhopped wort to ferment out and produce some lactic acid.

P.s.
I have already moved 3 gallons into secondary on 4.5 lbs of cantaloupe that I will probably dry hop with 1oz of mosaic & bottle next week.

I'd say your best bet is to culture up the dregs from some of those bottles. Start with low OG starter wort and build it up. The unhopped environment will help everything thrive and you should get a nicely sour starter wort you can taste. Pitch that into a new beer and just drink this one as is

Or, maybe add 1-2 oz of lactic acid to it. It gives a clean sour character that remains pretty stable with time

I was planning on pitching with champagne yeast at bottling, but maybe I'll just condition regularly. Just worried about thp.

I'd say your best bet is to culture up the dregs from some of those bottles. Start with low OG starter wort and build it up. The unhopped environment will help everything thrive and you should get a nicely sour starter wort you can taste. Pitch that into a new beer and just drink this one as is

Or, maybe add 1-2 oz of lactic acid to it. It gives a clean sour character that remains pretty stable with time

You think I could just steal some wort from the other 3 gallons sitting in primary & throw it in a starter?

Latest posts

Back