Slight black olive note in a beer using White Labs 566 (Saison II)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beskinazi

Reaction score
I recently made a beer with this yeast (60% Pils malt, 20% Vienna malt, 20% Spelt malt, Motueka finishing hops, OG 1.054, FG 1.008). I pitched one packet without a starter, as I often do when I want more fruit character in a farmhouse type ale. I let it ferment in my basement at ambient temperature (70 degrees F) this time, unlike others when I'll increase the temperature for this type of beer.

I haven't used this yeast before. It produced really a lot of sulfur, which was still pretty heavy after 3 weeks. I usually don't transfer from my stainless brew bucket to a secondary these days (although that does help clear sulfur), and I decided to wait 3 weeks more. It seemed OK after that, and I bottled it.

The beer is clear, has none of the off-flavors I associate with lactic acid bacteria or Brett. I've generally avoided that problem after becoming almost paranoid about sanitation. In fact the beer is OK, but it has this slight black olive note that I don't like. Not obviously vegetal, as in cabbage, but definitely something I want to avoid in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular beer fault? Could residual sulfur be one possible cause? Or some other mistake in my procedure?

Back