Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your leg of lamb comment has me thinking... Anyone here have much experience with smoking non-standard meats?
By this I mean not beef, chicken, turkey, or pork.
Deer, elk, bear (once), lamb, goat, rabbit, numerous fish, oysters. Probably a few other randoms too. Smoked tomatillo, onion garlic and peppers for salsa, eggplant for baba ganesh(sp).

Deer, elk, bear (once), lamb, goat, rabbit, numerous fish, oysters. Probably a few other randoms too. Smoked tomatillo, onion garlic and peppers for salsa, eggplant for baba ganesh(sp).
I do lots of sides and appetizers. My favorites are refried or baked beans, stuffed peppers, and hummus. I haven't set up any cold smoking for salmon or cheese yet but it's on my list.
But, more importantly, how was the bear?

I do lots of sides and appetizers. My favorites are refried or baked beans, stuffed peppers, and hummus. I haven't set up any cold smoking for salmon or cheese yet but it's on my list.
But, more importantly, how was the bear?
I have always wanted to try things like this, Mac and cheese, idk pie. any tips?

I have done chocolate chip cookies with pretzels. I smoked the pretzels first for idk, maybe 30 min. Then used my smoker as the oven for the cookies themselves. I believe I used apple wood. Next time I'll go with pecan and smoke pretzels lower and longer. My mac and cheese got a bit thick and congealed, so I'd recommend making it a little saucier than you want it to turn out.

Your leg of lamb comment has me thinking... Anyone here have much experience with smoking non-standard meats?
By this I mean not beef, chicken, turkey, or pork.

My wife has a shirt that says "What kind of asshoke eats a lamb". I hate because she's kind of right

IMG_0682.JPG

3D9DD745-68B7-4757-A0DC-D43C0BCF10ED.jpeg
Getting ready to fire up the new pellet grill / smoker (sams club brand made by ember grills) and do up a pork butt. Using some Louisiana Grills competition blend pellets that I have had good luck with in my electric smoker and gas grill. (Trial run and seasoning on this pellet grill /smoker was very easy)

I don't know if this is a picture from earlier or if you actually smoked ribs during a Monday sunrise but I'd still eat them for breakfast!

Pork shoulder yesterday. 275 straight through, pulled at 198 after 9.5 hours. Not sure I've or at least it's been awhile since I've taken one this far. I had to pull it off in pieces. Used white sugar in rub because that's all we had. After it cooled I shredded it by hand with gloves on. Think I like it chopped more, but this is quick and easy. So okay who sauces their pork shoulder? I don't think I have ever done sauce. I do put it on the side. I was about to and my wife reminded me why because that way it's more versatile. Maybe I should put some in one of the bags before I vacuum seal? New old phone sucks.
20190310_201132.jpeg

If you closed the ports, that's what happens. The fire goes out and the coals live another day.

I should have been more specific.... a lot of unburned (not even ashed) coals on the left, almost all on the right burned out. Why didn't it burn more evenly?

Pork shoulder yesterday. 275 straight through, pulled at 198 after 9.5 hours. Not sure I've or at least it's been awhile since I've taken one this far. I had to pull it off in pieces. Used white sugar in rub because that's all we had. After it cooled I shredded it by hand with gloves on. Think I like it chopped more, but this is quick and easy. So okay who sauces their pork shoulder? I don't think I have ever done sauce. I do put it on the side. I was about to and my wife reminded me why because that way it's more versatile. Maybe I should put some in one of the bags before I vacuum seal? New old phone sucks. View attachment 617034

Your wife is smart..leaving it un-sauced allows for more options (tacos!).

Pork shoulder yesterday. 275 straight through, pulled at 198 after 9.5 hours. Not sure I've or at least it's been awhile since I've taken one this far. I had to pull it off in pieces. Used white sugar in rub because that's all we had. After it cooled I shredded it by hand with gloves on. Think I like it chopped more, but this is quick and easy. So okay who sauces their pork shoulder? I don't think I have ever done sauce. I do put it on the side. I was about to and my wife reminded me why because that way it's more versatile. Maybe I should put some in one of the bags before I vacuum seal? New old phone sucks. View attachment 617034

Ill never shred by hand again. Kitchen aid and dough hook. Believe me.

I have 20#'s of corned beef I am going to turn into Pastrami this weekend. This will be my second batch of pastrami! First one was only 1, 4# corned beef. OMG was it amazing! What a fun process...
Picts to follow.

Cheers
Jay

Sweet, I'll give it a go on the next one! Just toss it in or chunks?
kind of depends how long you want your shredded pieces to be. The bigger the chunks the longer the sheds. It can also take a bit longer, not that it really takes that long to begin with.

Sweet, I'll give it a go on the next one! Just toss it in or chunks?

Big chunks. I remove any large globs of fat from the pork, which usually leaves it in at least 2 or three large chunks. The longer you let the hook stir, the finer the shred. I tested with the paddle attachment too, but I think the hook works best.

Did you use corned beef like he did or straight brisket?

Corned beef starts with brisket (maybe you knew that, couldn't tell). I've got two briskets brining right now (well, they are probably done). One is for st pat's day corned beef, the other for pastrami.

For pastrami, you first MUST soak the corned beef in water to remove some of the salt. Then coat with pepper and coriander, then smoke over low heat for a few hours (at least). I'll be doing it this weekend, but here's a couple of pics from the last time.

_mg_9727-65074.jpg

_mg_9741-65073.jpg

Did you use corned beef like he did or straight brisket?
I start with the corned beef brisket. I desalinate for about 24 hours and work from there. It's amazing! I did use a little less cayenne pepper than he did this first time. But I will be adding all of it this time. I am also saving the water from the steam session and a little from the smoking water bath to make Ruben soup.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I start with the corned beef brisket. I desalinate for about 24 hours and work from there. It's amazing! I did use a little less cayenne pepper than he did this first time. But I will be adding all of it this time. I am also saving the water from the steam session and a little from the smoking water bath to make Ruben soup.

Cheers
Jay

The hardest part is slicing thin. I had a mandoline, but I was deathly afraid of cutting myself with it so I tossed it. Back to a sharp knife. I fantisized about using my mitre/chop saw with a small-kerf 200-tooth blade. I think I'll abandon that idea too, seems like another darwin award idea.

The hardest part is slicing thin. I had a mandoline, but I was deathly afraid of cutting myself with it so I tossed it. Back to a sharp knife. I fantisized about using my mitre/chop saw with a small-kerf 200-tooth blade. I think I'll abandon that idea too, seems like another darwin award idea.

You cut it that thin with a knife, damn man

Back