Mixing Two Primaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrand

Reaction score
We brewed our first 10G batch of an American Brown Ale and split it into two 5G primaries. I'm thinking that we should rack the top 2.5G of primary1 and the bottom 2.5G of primary2, etc. Would this result in a more consistent flavor when we eventually bottle?

Assuming that this was All-Grain, then it does not make any difference. 1 hour of boiling ensures thorough mixing.

When dealing with partial boils (typically LME and DME kits) you can have issues with incomplete mixing.

I would think so, provided they are from the same boil and everything is well sanitized.

It's sort of like the term "boxing" paint, whereas you mix several cans of the "same" color together in order to get a consistent color for the whole room.

This was DME with steeped grains. I'm sure it was mixed thoroughly. We pitched a dry SF05 into both primaries. After one week both primaries are at 1.020. I just thought there might be a difference in taste in the bottled product from each primary and was trying to balance it out by mixing. I was thinking a difference could result from transferring cooled wort from the brew pot into two primaries. I'm probably just over analyzing. Thanks for your responses.

Back