What effect will this have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have a lager in my keg fridge fermenting at 48-50F. It's been in there for 6 days. Yesterday or perhaps the night before at some point the fridge was unplugged, and I did not realize it until this morning. The temp was up to 66F. I plugged it back in, and it is back down to 48 again.

I don't have much experience with lagers. Have a ruined this beer?

Alan

There should be no ill effects from such a short period of time. In fact, for lagers you need to increase the temp after primary fermentation for a diacytl rest which allows fermentation to finish up. I usually let mine ferment for 7-10 days, then raise to upper 60's for a few days, transfer to keg and lager for weeks and weeks at mid 30's.

66 degrees is nothing to worry about.

it takes quite a while for the actual beer to raise that much in temp so I would bet that your beer didn't get to 66 anyway.

Cool, thanks guys!

I planned to let it go for another 4 or 5 days at 48F and then have a diacytl rest for a couple days before lagering in by beer fridge at 35 - 38F.

I guess I can RDWHAHB ;)

Alan

It's a Czech pilsner with WY2001 Urquell yeast. I used German malt with Saaz and a bit of Tettnang hops to about 40 IBU.

I am an IPA hophead junky by admission, so much that I need to make a conscious effort to brew other styles :eek:

But I do like a nice cold lager in the summer. This is my first effort, so I am excited about it.

You sound a lot like me. Last 3 batches were IPA's nicely hopped up. Next batches are a blonde and amber to keep things mixed up.

Good luck on the lager and let us know how it turns out in the end!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back