Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rps20180528_185212~2.jpeg
rps20180528_185143~2.jpeg

Yeah, they are nice i have felt them. I love my weber genesis old grill. It was 50 on Craigslist and is amazing. My wife NEVER and I MEAN never grilled before we got it. I cant stop thinking about this, i will have it soon. I want it so bad is that wrong, anyone have one
Screenshot_2018-05-30-22-33-25.png

Yeah part of me really wants a Blackstone griddle.

I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it, as I don't typically cook a ton of breakfast foods. But it would be nice for things like smash burgers, etc.

Yeah, they are nice i have felt them. I love my weber genesis old grill. It was 50 on Craigslist and is amazing. My wife NEVER and I MEAN never grilled before we got it. I cant stop thinking about this, i will have it soon. I want it so bad is that wrong, anyone have one View attachment 572907

I have the 17" portable one, and love it! I got a conversion hose to go from 1lb. bottles to a normal 20lb tank. Made buffalo chicken cheesesteaks last night with it.

I saw one of that guys videos from Vegas, and they're coming a with a 50" or 54" version.

Just put an onion and Sierra Nevada Summerfest bath full of brats into the smoker.

Yeah part of me really wants a Blackstone griddle.

I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it, as I don't typically cook a ton of breakfast foods. But it would be nice for things like smash burgers, etc.

I was thinking of getting some sort of grill top griddle specifically for smash burgers myself. But, I had a pizza steel on hand so I figured I'd give that a shot and it ended up working great. I'm limited to only doing 6-8 at a time but even if I happen to be feeding a crowd, those things cook up pretty quick.

As you should be. Nice Ribbage.

Honestly it was this thread that got me inspired again. I was browsing around and saw the thread about pellet smokers, so I read that since my neighbor is always going on about how great his Trarger is. Then I saw this thread and thought "I gotta get back to BBQ'ing." I used to quite a bit, but had to sell my smoker when I moved a while ago. So after spending a good week or so watching videos on youtube about how to smoke meat on the Weber Kettle, I fired it up today. Feeling good, I smell like smoke, sunscreen, and sweat. But it was worth it.

Posted on cooking thread for more pics, here is seasoned grill.View attachment 573529

You know, my life was just fine before I knew this existed. Suddenly smashing burgers on my pizza steel became less satisfying and I caught a case of grill envy like "I bet applescrap wouldn't be smashing his burgers on a pizza steel". I think I might have passed the bug on to the cashier at Home Depot lol

IMG_6546.jpg

Oh man, so excited for you. Hope you smash some burgers up with sauted onions and such while toasting the buns. Haha, happened to me to, cheers. Once you decide this is right for you there is no holding back. Cant wait to cook pizza on it. Sear one side and then flip it and top.

Suckers heavy isnt it.

Last edited:
It is a tank! I had to request an assist to get it loaded in the truck. Seems well built and surprisingly it was a breeze to snap together. I thought I'd be settling in for a lengthy project but it wasn't bad at all. That's a good idea with the pizza. I'll have to give that a shot.

Yeah, i do that camping and have on weber gas to. There are pics here somewhere. Not to many toppings. With one of those melting lids, or a pot lid could help too

^ Awesome! Be sure to share pics of the end result. Is there a particular dough recipe that would work best with this method? I just started trying pizza about a year ago and have mostly been using recipes from The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish.

Boom! More pics on pizza thread. I dont have any great dough recipes. Just using the 5 min artesian bread master recipr and olive oil dough from their book. I make the pizzas and when I'm done I make more dough here's a picture of some more dough. I'll have to look up that recipe I've been wanting to try something new.
20180607_155626.jpg
20180607_161121.jpg
20180607_161517.jpg
20180607_162315.jpg
20180607_164114.jpg

3 racks of pork back ribs.

On a whim decided to toss on a leftover brat and 2/3lb of boneless beef short rib as an experiment.

You know, my life was just fine before I knew this existed. Suddenly smashing burgers on my pizza steel became less satisfying and I caught a case of grill envy like "I bet applescrap wouldn't be smashing his burgers on a pizza steel". I think I might have passed the bug on to the cashier at Home Depot lol

View attachment 573888
Please give us a review on this bad boy. Im very curious how well it works and i wonder how often i would use it. But I still want one!

How does this feed work? Is it recorded for later viewing? I cant see it.

It's a data log from my smoker controller. It's viewable in both real-time, and after the fact, but there are no pictures, just the graph. Shows the set temp (250F), the meat and pit temp, as well as the fan speed it's using to maintain the pit temp. Was about a 7-hour smoke, and you'll see that I pulled them at 176. But they passed both the toothpick and bend tests (along with the sample test :) ) at that time. The narrow ends were a touch overdone (which is the way my wife likes them anyway), but the rest was super meaty and amazingly tender.

Please give us a review on this bad boy. Im very curious how well it works and i wonder how often i would use it. But I still want one!

So far, so good. I only did one cook on it (post 5387) but I cooked a pretty good variety of stuff to get a feel for it. I started off with a few recipes from the Blackstone website. If you like onion, give these a shot:
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/recipes/amish-onion-patties/

I also did their Mongolian Beef but rather than serve it in lettuce wraps, it was served with fried rice and sautéed veggies.
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/recipes/mongolian-beef-lettuce-wraps/

This thing puts out some serious heat. As you can see in my post, at one point I measured the surface temp at over 500F. That was right after I turned the dial up so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to 600F+. This can be a blessing and a curse. It cranks out food fast but I was also sweating like crazy working on it.

If you have it on a deck, like we do, you'll want something underneath it as it can be quite messy. We ordered a grill mat for it last night. It's worth noting that there is a known problem on the older model with the drip tray. With how it's positioned, grease runs down the leg instead of into the drip tray where it's supposed to. This can be fixed with a bamboo skewer if you have the old model like I do. Looks like they are selling a new model on the Blackstone website with the drip tray positioned in the rear instead of the side. That one goes for $300 on the website. You can get the old model for $250 at Home Depot.

They have a package deal on the website that comes with a snap-on table so you can have guests sit around it while you cook and entertain. Initially, I thought that would be kinda cool but after cooking on it once, I don't think anyone would want to sit around this thing; at least not in the summer. It just gets too hot.

Overall, it's a lot of fun to cook on. Its a breeze to clean as well. Just squirt some water on it while it's still hot and scrape it down. I'm a big fan of outdoor cooking, especially when we have company. Normally my guests wouldn't be getting fed dishes like that Mongolian beef but with the Blackstone, I'll be cooking that again along with some other fun ones like General Tso's chicken. You can prepare everything ahead of time so when your guests arrive, just toss it on and with all that surface area, you'll be feeding them in no time. When it's done, you don't have a kitchen full of dirty pots & pans to deal with.

If you're considering it, I'd encourage you to browse through the recipes on the Blackstone website for ideas of what you might cook. Sure you can do a lot of this stuff in a wok but you certainly can't crank it out in such large quantities and more importantly, it's just more fun to cook outside!

:mug:

You guys are killing me with these outdoor griddles! We have one built into our range which we literally use 10x per week, but it's only 12" wide so large batches have to be split up. Plus the whole cooking outdoors being awesome thing. So now you've got me tempted, and I have to decide whether I want to go all out and get a Dedicated flat top grill that would essentially replace the Weber Genesis that has been neglected since I got my Kamado Joe; or get a topper for my camp stove for less than 1/3 the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, so good. I only did one cook on it (post 5387) but I cooked a pretty good variety of stuff to get a feel for it. I started off with a few recipes from the Blackstone website. If you like onion, give these a shot:
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/recipes/amish-onion-patties/

I also did their Mongolian Beef but rather than serve it in lettuce wraps, it was served with fried rice and sautéed veggies.
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/recipes/mongolian-beef-lettuce-wraps/

This thing puts out some serious heat. As you can see in my post, at one point I measured the surface temp at over 500F. That was right after I turned the dial up so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to 600F+. This can be a blessing and a curse. It cranks out food fast but I was also sweating like crazy working on it.

If you have it on a deck, like we do, you'll want something underneath it as it can be quite messy. We ordered a grill mat for it last night. It's worth noting that there is a known problem on the older model with the drip tray. With how it's positioned, grease runs down the leg instead of into the drip tray where it's supposed to. This can be fixed with a bamboo skewer if you have the old model like I do. Looks like they are selling a new model on the Blackstone website with the drip tray positioned in the rear instead of the side. That one goes for $300 on the website. You can get the old model for $250 at Home Depot.

They have a package deal on the website that comes with a snap-on table so you can have guests sit around it while you cook and entertain. Initially, I thought that would be kinda cool but after cooking on it once, I don't think anyone would want to sit around this thing; at least not in the summer. It just gets too hot.

Overall, it's a lot of fun to cook on. Its a breeze to clean as well. Just squirt some water on it while it's still hot and scrape it down. I'm a big fan of outdoor cooking, especially when we have company. Normally my guests wouldn't be getting fed dishes like that Mongolian beef but with the Blackstone, I'll be cooking that again along with some other fun ones like General Tso's chicken. You can prepare everything ahead of time so when your guests arrive, just toss it on and with all that surface area, you'll be feeding them in no time. When it's done, you don't have a kitchen full of dirty pots & pans to deal with.

If you're considering it, I'd encourage you to browse through the recipes on the Blackstone website for ideas of what you might cook. Sure you can do a lot of this stuff in a wok but you certainly can't crank it out in such large quantities and more importantly, it's just more fun to cook outside!

:mug:
Thanks for taking the time to give me an honest opinion.

Back