What Flavors have you Used

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best beer I've made, according to SWMBO was a hefeweizen flavored with strawberry extract at bottling time. Something of a strawberry banana creme. I do say, it was fantastic!

I have also done a popular blue moon clone on this site calling for coriander and orange peel. That was also great.

The latest was a pumpkin ale using pie spice, in very modest proportions. I'm drinking that as I type.

Hi Wickman,

Thanks for your replu.

So the extracts work for you? No over flavors? I guess if used right.

I use Coriander and orange peel myself. I like that combination alot.

Im thinking about trying a licorice in something. Not sure what yet..

How did the pumpkin spice work for you

I've used;
trulemon crystal
corriander
lemon zest
orange zest
various spices
Going to try trulime & truorange when I find them for a hefe I've had planned with the trulemon as well. They're crystalized citrus juice that when mixed with water smell like fresh juice. I use'em in priming solution to flavor beers in the bottle.

Forgot about that. I've used a couple heaping handfulls of dandelion flowers in my sparkling applejack. Might be good in a hefe. I've also used demerara sugar that leaves some light brown sugar & honey complexity as well. Wish it wasn't so darn hard to find gold raisons around here nowadays.

Hi Wickman,

Thanks for your replu.

So the extracts work for you? No over flavors? I guess if used right.

I use Coriander and orange peel myself. I like that combination alot.

Im thinking about trying a licorice in something. Not sure what yet..

How did the pumpkin spice work for you

That's the only extract I've used, and it worked great! I added little by little to get where I wanted to be. The flavor did subside fairly quickly, but in a hefe that's fine since ya wanna drink em up young.

The pie spice in the pumpkin ale is nice, VERY LITTLE USED! like less than a teaspoon in 5 gallons. Young, its a bit sharp but smoothed out nicely over a few weeks.

I'm a big fan of chocolate and vanilla. Both are in my award-winningest stout right now. As for fruit, blackberries and cherries are the best. I'll have to fruit a beer one day, but for now I've got both in a huge 21% melomel.

I just drank a pint of my Rosemary Belgian Single. 2 grams of chopped fresh Rosemary leaves added to the keg in a stainless tea ball. It's just enough to lend some flavor and complexity without overpowering the cleanliness of the style.

I've used;
trulemon crystal
corriander
lemon zest
orange zest
various spices
Going to try trulime & truorange when I find them for a hefe I've had planned with the trulemon as well. They're crystalized citrus juice that when mixed with water smell like fresh juice. I use'em in priming solution to flavor beers in the bottle.

How was Trulemon Crystal??

I just drank a pint of my Rosemary Belgian Single. 2 grams of chopped fresh Rosemary leaves added to the keg in a stainless tea ball. It's just enough to lend some flavor and complexity without overpowering the cleanliness of the style.

Wow never heard of rosemary Leaves. Was it good?

Slinggalin said:
Wow never heard of rosemary Leaves. Was it good?

It's delicious. I took a growler to my local & everyone liked it--even the pro brewer I trust to be brutally honest.

Apricots strawberries and peaches have all gone in the carb it's at one time or another. I've got a pumpkin with bourbon and a chocolate and hatch chile that are fixin to go into bottles next week

Apricots strawberries and peaches have all gone in the carb it's at one time or another. I've got a pumpkin with bourbon and a chocolate and hatch chile that are fixin to go into bottles next week

Those sound awesome. Almost like the mangos soaked in vodka. I'm going to try that next.

I take it u put your fruit in the fermentor?

I did. The secondary. ( autocorrect screwed up carboy). I diced the fruit and did a soak in vodka for a few hours. I let it sit for about a month

Back