Hello Im a newb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irv

Reaction score
Okay ive never made beer or even a mixed drink. I like the taste of beer and the effects afterwards. I want to brew my own and drink something no one else has drank but me. I got the book ( brew ware ) by lutzen & Stevens. Still dont really get what I need to get you know what I mean? I know there is basics but I want cheap but not that quality. I dont want to spend alot in case I dont get into it as a serious hobby. Honestly I dont know where to start. I am set on one thing so far that is a glass carboy. I want simple and easy. I didnt want a kit because I want to be able to expand if I like it. Some one please point me into the wind.

Read this site in it's entirety.
How to Brew-John Palmer

This will give you a good idea of the process. As well as equipment needed.

Brew Ware is an older book, and while still useful, many of the stuff in there is available for purchase easily due to LHBS and the vast amount of online stores. (I don't actually own the book, I'm just going by Amazon.com reviews on this one)

Buying an equipment kit doesn't mean that you can never upgrade. You'll still use the stuff from the kit years into your homebrewing career.

Before you start making your own unique recipes that nobody else has done before. I suggest that you brew several tried and true recipes or ingredient kits. If you just jump in to recipe creation without ever brewing before, then you won't know if it's your recipe or your process that is at fault if it tastes like horse piss.

Basics that you will need to get started with extract brewing:
*Fermenting Vessel- you say you want a glass carboy. Go with one no smaller than 6 gallons. I prefer 6.5 gallons.
*Bottling Bucket- large plastic bucket with a spigot near the bottom
*Hydrometer- to check your fermentation progress
*Carboy cap- drilled rubber stopper works well too
*Air lock
*Siphon tubing
*Bottle capper
*bottle caps
*empty bottles
*sanitizing solution- I recommend Star San
*Thermometer
*Pot or Kettle for boiling wort- decide if you want to do full boils or partial boils
*Ingredients

I know you probably don't want to hear it, but www.howtobrew.com is an excellent starting resource. Mr. Palmer gives GREAT startup advice and most of the brewers on this site (myself included) started with this book as a resource. The first edition is free online.

Welcome to the hobby (obsession? avocation?), here is a link to a good starting place http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
it's written by one of the God-Father's of home brewing and covers the basics, from equipment and methods to recipes, I've seen the author referenced a lot on this site, at least I'm pretty sure it's the same John Palmer.

Anyway, check out the stickys to in the various forums. they have a bunch of good stuff in them. The search function near the top of the page can be helpful too.

Have fun!

thanks guys I know what I want my product to be just dont know how to get there. Im looking into that book you guys mentioned. Also is it wrong to think big like maybe some day a beer that we make might make it big? Just thinking thats all first thing is first my satifaction lol. Thanks again for the quick replys.

Irv said:
Also is it wrong to think big like maybe some day a beer that we make might make it big?
Nearly all of the micro brewers around started out with some guy homebrewing in his grarage/basement/kitchen/etc.

If you have some spare time, listen to this podcast from the Brewing Network. It has a few folks talking about how they got their small commercial brewing operations up and going.

I decided to piece by piece together, and started with a plastic bucket to ferment in because I can always use it to store sanitizer in after I get a carboy.

watch craig's list...I have seen a few "brew kits" with bottles and multiple accessories for much less than you can purchase a new starter kit. But be careful with inheriting a bucket, depending on how it was cleaned by the previous owner, you may never get it sanitized.

Find the closest home brew store and or club. Reading books and forums are great, but actually talking to people, asking questions and seeing the actual equipment in my opinion is a big plus.

Find the closest home brew store and or club. Reading books and forums are great, but actually talking to people, asking questions and seeing the actual equipment in my opinion is a big plus.

Good point, the thing that actually got me going was my friend coming over and doing a few batches at my place.I got to participate and see how simple it could be.

The husband of a lady i work with started me out. invited over for a party and gave me some of his homebrew. liked it and was invited back to do the process a couple of times. then bought some ingredients to brew at his place and the rest is history. that was two years ago and i am still upgrading a little each paycheck.

the nearest place to buy local is a ace harware 66 miles away. Thats why I am looking online at stuff. also ive been asking around no one that I know does this.

the nearest place to buy local is a ace harware 66 miles away. Thats why I am looking online at stuff. also ive been asking around no one that I know does this.

try midwest brewing supplies online...www.midwestsupplies.com

This is where I get most of my stuff because they are cheaper than my local homebrew shop.

Good luck!!
PikledBill

thanks guys I know what I want my product to be just dont know how to get there. Im looking into that book you guys mentioned. Also is it wrong to think big like maybe some day a beer that we make might make it big? Just thinking thats all first thing is first my satifaction lol. Thanks again for the quick replys.

"Making it big" will be very tough. There's a lot of competition. But if you develop a mastery in your own kitchen, chances are you will be brewing a better beer than you can buy anywhere (like maybe 97% of the brewers here do). Figuring out how to run the traps to get it produced and sold commercially will be the real challenge.

Latest posts

Back