Yeast Washing or Slants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
Ive been doing some research lately, My main goal is to be able to re-use yeast and save me from spending 5.50 per vial each time I brew. I would eventualy like to have a nice collection of yeasts in my fridge.

My main issue is if I continue my reserach in yeast washing or yeast cultivating and slants? What are the big differences between the two, not in the process, but in the use, or are they pretty much just 2 different ways to accomplish the same thing?

Slants seem easy enough, get 3-4 small vials from each batch, washing seems easy enough...get some mason jars from each yeast cake, and flyGuy's method of making a frozen yeast bank ALSO seems easy enough. I guess Im just looking for some dirrection here.

I've gone the slant route as my "normal" routine. Each time I buy a tube or smack pack, I save three innoculated slant tubes. My reasoning? It was to have yeast for each brew, that was as close as possible to the original package yeast population.

I've harvested as well, but only for a single use. We've all heard variations of the old wive's (Brewer's?) tale of yeast mutating after re-use over the course of X number of batches. How true is it and how big of an efffect does it have? I haven't seen much concrete on it. Does anyone have some good references?

I've gone the slant route as my "normal" routine. Each time I buy a tube or smack pack, I save three innoculated slant tubes. My reasoning? It was to have yeast for each brew, that was as close as possible to the original package yeast population.

This is my procedure as well, and for the same reason (although I've been making 5-10 each since I've already got all the gear out).

Back