Hand/Foot Pump Used for Lautering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The small pump works great in my sea touring kayak.
I bet it would get old rather fast with hand pumping not
alone cleaning it out. Rubber smell and taste off the diaphgram in your bier?
There's a point when cutting corners only cuts into your biers quality.

Yes I looked at some of the pumps made for pumping air into inflatables (chuckle) and figured they wouldnt be able to handle the heat over time. Yet the pump I linked to appears to be made out of metal so I dont see what would be wrong with using that especially given that its supposed to be used to pump water.

We went for the hand air pump for the pontoon fishing platform, quickly went to a 12 volt pump.
For the money spent on a Guzzler pump your better off with a 150*F Little Giant pump or even their 200*F pump that can be used for any future brewery expansion builds. Buy a good pump once and save with replacement pumps later on. This with magnetic drive. JMO as you can't go wrong with LG vs March pumps. I was lucky and sold a pair of just tested March pumps as new I recovered all my money, they were underpowered for my needs that LG pumps corrected. Your call.

I think im going to take your suggestion and buy a pump I wont later need to upgrade, is there any chance you could help me out and link me to an example of a small reasonably priced electric pump?

I have done some searches on google and craigslist but only found larger pumps, and car pumps.

Check with ebay, LG or anyone that sells LG pumps for the best price, shop around, Grainger's way too high these days. Get a 1/12 HP not 1/25 like many March pumps available in HP as you can always restrict the ouput but your screwed with a underpowered pump from the start plus very unhappy with your wasted money. For the short time of sparge use even the 150*F max temp pump will work plus cheaper than a 200*F pump of the same HP. Now think ahead, should you want to start the whirlpool at the end of your boil then the 200*F pump would be a better choice as your pushing it by 12*F over manufactures specs which cools down to nearly 200*F at flameout rather quickly anyway vs a 150*F pump pushed 60*F above its rated max temp. Just don't limit yourself and make a mistake with the wrong purchase they are not cheap. JMO's as it keeps the wifey happy also, she pays my incoming bills. Not PW'ed here just watching my spending. Both my LG pumps are over 3 years old, one has been on the Koi pond filtering system from new something about a ball bearing vs a bushing motor as i'm running it 24/7 just past 3 trouble free years. Time to look around and decide what you need, good hunting. Oh be careful and not end up with a cheaper pump as it might be 230 volt unit not 120 volt.

Back