Help needed - Mashtun & kettle scorching on Polsinelli system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HectorJ

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a 300 liter Polsinelli brewing system that uses gas burners. Both the mash/lauter tun and kettle have somewhat thin bottoms (it is new from 2018 but I have not used it yet).

I have heard from other people with the same system that they get a lot of scorching in both the mash/lauter tun and kettle.

I emailed Polsinelli and they said there are two possible solutions for the mash/lauter tun:
  1. Raise the temp more slowly, but they admit this may not solve the problem - Not ideal

2. Recirculate the hot wort from the bottom to the top of the mash/lauter tun - Also not ideal as I would need to buy another pump to do this and it makes more of a cleaning headache.
They offered no solution for the Kettle.....

I had an idea though, I have seen some restaurants that serve cheese fondue usually put a piece of thick-ish stainless under the fondue pot so that the burner under the pot does not burn the fondue in the pot, so I was thinking of doing the same with both the kettle and mash/lauter tun.

Have any of you had any experience in this sort of situation? If so, does anyone know what thickness of steel I would need to use?

Thanks !

Back