Explain keezer thermostat??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effurdayup

Reaction score
So I'm kinda interested in throwing myself into building a keezer, I've been looking at some posts people put up about their builds and part they need. One thing I don't understand is the thermostat.

Is it for a freezer that doesn't have a thermostat already?

If it doesn't how hard are they to install? (solder wires?)

Thanks

It's to override the existing thermostat to have a more precise control of the temperature fluctuations inside of the keezer. I am sure somebody else can add on all the scientific reasoning. There are a bunch of threads on them in the DIY Forums as well you can look into. I believe the stc1000 is one of the more popular brands.

Your freezers built in thermostat at the lowest setting will make freezer be below freezing which if you have beer in there has the potential to freeze. So with external thermostat you are making freezer be set to what you want it to be. External thermostats are just external switch based of inside temperature for the electric plug of the freezer. Sorry for so many words.

No soldering needed, and no modifications to the freezer needed.

What you're doing is making a temperature controlled power outlet.
The controller turns this outlet (that the freezer is plugged into) on and off to regulate the temp in the freezer.

Very simple really.

Ah I think I get it thanks. So basically I'm not messin with the built in thermostat, the one I install just controls power off/on to the original one

Back