Longer Primary is better? observations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Used Safeale 04 (love this yeast) for an Mild I forgot about. It's been in the primary for 6 and a half weeks now. When racking the beer to the bottling bucket I noticed this is the clearest beer I have even made. I didn't use any clearing agents either.

The beer was clear as commercial beer was although for dark beer who cares.

I noticed the yeast was very compact because when I propped it on the bottom to tilt it the yeast stayed in place although I know s04 does that.

The only thing I'm hoping for is that I have enough yeast to carbonate the beer. I don't think I do.

There is a Post by Remy that I read about this I can't seem to find it.

I'm sure it'll carb fine. Just give it a little more time than you might otherwise. I'd be surprised if it didn't carb up in 2-3 weeks.

It will carb; no problem.

Last week I bottled a beer made 12/30 (5.5 months), and it didn't even occur to me that it might not carbonate. Opened one Friday (6 days) to see how it was going, and was pleased to see it had some level of carbonation (not there yet, but working).

I would probably look at adding some yeast if it was approaching a year.

Back