Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not beer related, but who cares...
I was listening to NPR in the truck the other day and the traffic reporter had a bit of a cough. "Major accident on i270 but you can squeeze fart(cough) excuse me, far to the right lane."

:) It made me laugh.

I was recently in South FL at a brewery. Two college age beer drinkers were at the bar starting their way through a flight of brews.
Drinker #1: "Augh.... You said this was grapefruit flavored!"
After tracking down the beer's description card, Drinker #2 replied: "It is, it says so right here..." And proceeded to read the description.
Drinker#1: "It tastes like a bitter beer!"
Drinker #2: "I can't help it if they got it wrong!"
I found it amusing.

Interstates 70, 71, 270 & US 33 were all packed yesterday between Medina & Carrol. A few accidents along the way, one where a voyager mini-van absolutely shredded a RR tire. It was raining hard at that point too. I remember seeing troopers with K-9's someplace too...

Tonight at BWW:

Me: Which Summit beer is that on tap?
Waitress: Angry Orchard.
Me: No, the one left of Angry Orchard.
Waitress: Oh, I'm allergic to beer so I don't know.

Excuse me? Really? Are all of your customers allergic to beer as well? IT IS YOUR JOB, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WORK IN THE BAR AREA WHERE I CAN SEE THE F@*ING TAP HANDLES.

Tonight at BWW:

Me: Which Summit beer is that on tap?
Waitress: Angry Orchard.
Me: No, the one left of Angry Orchard.
Waitress: Oh, I'm allergic to beer so I don't know.

Excuse me? Really? Are all of your customers allergic to beer as well? IT IS YOUR JOB, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WORK IN THE BAR AREA WHERE I CAN SEE THE F@*ING TAP HANDLES.

I had a similar incident, at Buffalo Wild Wings none the less (think I posted about it in this thread actually) I've recently realized that 99.9% of their customers order "bud light" or "that one right there" so taking the time to familiarize herself with what shes selling is probably a waste of her time. Tap lists exist for a reason in places like that, if they don't have one AND she deosn't know, thats grounds for being upset.

I had a similar incident, at Buffalo Wild Wings none the less (think I posted about it in this thread actually) I've recently realized that 99.9% of their customers order "bud light" or "that one right there" so taking the time to familiarize herself with what shes selling is probably a waste of her time. Tap lists exist for a reason in places like that, if they don't have one AND she deosn't know, thats grounds for being upset.

Wow.... that's grounds for being fired.... at least it use to be. Wait staff are suppose to know the menu, specials and specialties.

Every bww I've been in is like that. No bar training what so ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow.... that's grounds for being fired.... at least it use to be. Wait staff are suppose to know the menu, specials and specialties.

She didn't even have a taplist with her and suggested that I walk up to the bar and look for myself.

Someone is getting a note about this.

Well that explains several things:1 the only place I ever get great service is locally owned restaurants. 2 I hardly ever go out to eat/bar any more. 3. My swmbo and I went to applebee's a few days after I got out of the hospital, not because we wanted to but because I needed to sit and rest. I have to say the food was more like something that a teenager would while learning to cook. Burnt and more of a mash of ingredients that didn't work well together. Nothing worthy of my money let alone my time. :off: sorry about that.

Well that explains several things:1 the only place I ever get great service is locally owned restaurants. 2 I hardly ever go out to eat/bar any more. 3. My swmbo and I went to applebee's a few days after I got out of the hospital, not because we wanted to but because I needed to sit and rest. I have to say the food was more like something that a teenager would while learning to cook. Burnt and more of a mash of ingredients that didn't work well together. Nothing worthy of my money let alone my time. :off: sorry about that.

My stomach can't take Applebee's. And yes, it tastes bad, too. It's like what you might make in college if you know nothing about cooking but still go to the grocery store and try, anyway.

My stomach can't take Applebee's. And yes, it tastes bad, too. It's like what you might make in college if you know nothing about cooking but still go to the grocery store and try, anyway.

Oh please. They have decent food, just nothing exceptional. It's very basic, to appeal to the most people without offending. It's not a place you choose, but I have had much worse at locally owned places.

BMC, Applebees, Mc Donalds, etc.. Its all part of the blandification of tastes for people. Give a consistently okay/tasteless menu that can be picked up anywhere and people will buy. People do not seem to have adventurous palates anymore and go for the 'safe' options.

Though just about every meal I've had in a chain restaurant has been okay, the only exceptionally good and exceptionally bad meals I've had while eating out were at locally owned places.

The rib tips at Applebee's used to be pretty good. But it's been a few years since we've been there. I liked Outback for their king cut of prime rib & coconut shrimp. The pumpkin cheese cake at The Cheesecake Factory was darn good. Then Todd Wilbur came along with his Restaurant Secrets books. I've made the pumpkin cheese cake a few times in a spring form pan & it was great.

Speaking of cooking, and "dark tasting," saw this gem on an online recipe for beer cheese soup:

Do not use a dark beer, the soup may come out too bitter.

...well, darn, all I have in the house is this Young's Double Chocolate Stout... better throw in something sweet, to make sure the flavors balance!

I ended up using Ninkasi's Tricerahops DIPA (and following a different recipe, by a chef who did not proudly display their utter ignorance of one of the main ingredients), and in spite of a couple first-time-making-it bugs, the soup came out great. And not too bitter!

I was recently in South FL at a brewery. Two college age beer drinkers were at the bar starting their way through a flight of brews.
Drinker #1: "Augh.... You said this was grapefruit flavored!"
After tracking down the beer's description card, Drinker #2 replied: "It is, it says so right here..." And proceeded to read the description.
Drinker#1: "It tastes like a bitter beer!"
Drinker #2: "I can't help it if they got it wrong!"
I found it amusing.

I've had that feeling about cascade for years. Then I realized the flavor (to me) is grapefruit PEEL ... And it all made sense.

Outside of commercials, has anyone ever seen a person drinking Bud Light and thought, "That guy is up for anything!"? I usually think, "They must have 9 dollar buckets tonight.".

My friends and I made "The Freedom Funnel", a funnel with a 15 foot hose on it and they would fill it with Bud Light from the rooftop. We were pretty much up for anything... but... that, was a long time ago.

Haha! But the good news is they are advertising fun rather than quality. In business speak I believe it's called market positioning.

It also sounds like a terrible idea. Your choice of intoxicating beverage dictates how fun you are... sounds like an idea Americans will lash out against.

I was talking to the eventual father in law (who also brews) a while back ago about the zombie dust clone I made and told him about the almost 9oz of hops, and he stated that he made an ipa with 2oz of hops. What!?! :what::confused:

Back