Liquid Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck87

Reaction score
Hey long time lurker thought I could finally ask a question. My lhbs will only sell Liquid Malt Extract in 1 liter containers and none of them could tell me the weight when I called. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea? The only thing that I could find was that 1 Gallon weighed 13.5 pounds, so when I broke that down it was approx 3.5lbs per liter. Any light shed on this would be great. Thanks

Don't they have a freaking scale at your lhbs? How do they weigh their grains?

None of them sell grains. lol. Its the type where they would rather brew it for you there. Any of the local ones here only use extract to make the beer.

A standard size for cans of LME is 3.3 lbs, which makes it sound like your math is right. I'd go with that unless you find otherwise.

personally i would look for more LHBS within the half the radius of the max distance i can drive on a tank of gas. that or look into ordering stuff online. you can only go so far with just extract. and seeing as these stores only sell extract i find it silly they don't know how much their items weigh considering thats how every recipe works.

Thanks for the info. Ya I was thinking about the same thing with the recipes going by pounds and when I called they said they always just sell it to people in one liter containers; not knowing the weight. I mean this one sells some hops and stuff to but nothing to do with grains. I would drive further but the next further one is about half a tank of gas away and a half a tank of gas would cost me about 40 dollars.

i didn't realize where you lived when i made my last post. from what i've read on here in some areas of Canada it can be a pain in the butt to get good brewing supplies at a reasonable price. all i can say is look online and hope the shipping costs don't break the bank. either that or get used to making extract only beers (which really isn't that bad). if you can buy your own scale and weigh the stuff yourself.

Back