A Beer Miracle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subtlephilo

Reaction score
I had bottled two beers, a Coffee Porter and Elbro Nerkte Brown on the same night. I made a huge mistake by not sanitizing the priming sugar beforehand, and while the first few bottles were great, they started to become incredibly sour and, quite frankly, undrinkable. I decided that they were a lost cause and put them in the back of my closet, thinking that I would have to dump the bottles. After a weeklong vacation, I returned to my beer, ready to rinse the bottles and start anew. Imagine my surprise when the first two bottles were rich and delicious! Yeast is truly an amazing thing. I'm not sure whether it was infection from the sugar, or just a weird reaction from not going through fermentation all the way, but it was apparently a delicious mistake. Just remember, Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew.

it's also possible that there were just a few infected bottles in the batch..... I try to be absolutely anal in my sanitizing but have still had a bottle here and there that went funky for no apparent reason.

Latest posts

Back