If you had to HATE one thing about Homebrewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning.

Though I have moved my brewing to my porch and have recently obtained a utility sink so that I can do my cleaning right there. No more carrying everything to the kitchen sink or rinsing with a hose in the yard.

Everybody here seems to hate cleaning up afterward. Me too. I'm dreaming of an informal "apprentice" program where newbies watch and learn from the more experienced brewers in exchange for doing all the grunt work like cleaning, sanitizing, scraping labels off bottles, and making last-minute trips to the LHBS to pick up that one thing you always forget in the middle of brewing.

(sorry if this ends up in multiple posts ... it seems commenting is going haywire right now)

This is, I'm told, the traditional way to learn brewing (before books and the internet made it easier). I suppose it still is a good way to see the practices in place and make sense of it all in person. I'm game! Will teach n00bs to brew in exchange for countless hours of cleaning labor!

It's a toss up between cleaning up after brew day and bottling... My god I hate bottling..

I absolutely hate bottling... I wish I was in a position to buy a kegorator and kegs. I don't mind anything else, including the cleaning. Bottling just takes too much time and work for my liking, but I will keep doing it until I can make the big switch.

I absolutely hate bottling... I wish I was in a position to buy a kegorator and kegs. I don't mind anything else, including the cleaning. Bottling just takes too much time and work for my liking, but I will keep doing it until I can make the big switch.

:off: I did it slowly. Got a keg for $50 shipped, regulator for ~$40 shipped (cheaper on CL/ebay), got a 20oz. paintball tank and adapter for $35 shipped, lines/fittings were ~$20. So about $150 total I guess. Check CL though. You'll find whole kegerators for $200 on there sometimes with large CO2 bottles, taps, lines, etc. Then you just need to switch the fitting over to Ball-lock and get a corney. I got two more ball-locks from McEver Distributors for $91 shipped.

Waiting is probably the worst part. I love cleaning. Maybe it's the fact my LHBS charges 2-3X the price for ingredients than online so I order online and then have to wait for them to arrive

I'm talking like $30 just for two standard bags of DME is what it costs my my LHBS

Cleanup. I started this hobby thinking I would practice brewing.

Turns out it more a practice on cleaning since that is 75% of the workload.

Waiting.....for the next brew day.
The 4-5 days leading up to brew day are agonizingly long. Once I get to Flame-On, it's all good.

Waiting.....for the next brew day.
The 4-5 days leading up to brew day are agonizingly long. Once I get to Flame-On, it's all good.

Another good point. I would brew every 2 days if I could. I've brewed back to back two weekends ago (Fri night, Saturday AM) and this last weekend I did a partigyle (two batches/boils from one mash). If I can't be drinking the beer that's fermenting, I'd rather be brewing than just waiting :mug:

I used to hate label removal, as well, but I no longer remove the labels. I just leave them on now. I have 400+ bottles without labels and 100+ with labels, so if I want something presentable I'll use a de-labeled one. If it's just for my own consumption, I don't really care....

I hate that it costs money to brew and that I don't get paid to do it. I love brewing and would love to brew for a living.

Whenever I make extract, this thing
greenring.jpg
falls off the bottle and into the kettle. I'm 3 for 3. I keep saying I'll remember to take it off next time.

I hate that it costs money to brew and that I don't get paid to do it. I love brewing and would love to brew for a living.

I think we might not like it if we were "working for the man" and had quotas, etc. But then again many people do like it. Depends on the type of person you are I guess.

tre9er said:
I think we might not like it if we were "working for the man" and had quotas, etc. But then again many people do like it. Depends on the type of person you are I guess.

I'm talking about running a small brewery or brewpub. I get to make the decisions, brew the beer and even clean all the equipment. Sounds like hard work but it sounds like awesome hard work!

I hate thinking that the next item i'm going to buy will finally complete my brew system, only to find that I need 20 more parts to make this new addition as bad a$$ as it can be.

It's never ending. Although I still actually love it.

I guess that just means it's like any other hobby. The more you get into it, the more you need to spend.

Haputanlas said:
I hate thinking that the next item i'm going to buy will finally complete my brew system, only to find that I need 20 more parts to make this new addition as bad a$$ as it can be.

It's never ending. Although I still actually love it.

I guess that just means it's like any other hobby. The more you get into it, the more you need to spend.

Errr let me try that again... +2 and my wife...

Sanitization!

I decided around 8:00 pm last night to bottle my latest brew - it was close to 1:00 am when I was done and cleaned up... We all know the majority of this time was spent sanitizing the bottles! Absolutely hate it! (but love it).

What's your homebrew pet peeve?

running out of carboys

I hate sanitizing bottles. Which is why I recently bought a keg! I will probably still do some bottles soon, but I am working on ketting the keg set up and running with that.

runt23 said:
I hate sanitizing bottles. Which is why I recently bought a keg! I will probably still do some bottles soon, but I am working on ketting the keg set up and running with that.

Bottling after you've kegged with a beer gun is the way to go. I've never looked back and haven't used priming sugar in over a year.

It was a 5 gallon batch... Let's just say I was very anal about sanitizing and had to give some time for my priming sugar solution to cool down (that probably took up a chunk of it). Also bottling alone is kinda tricky, and apparently VERY messy!

I clean my bottles as I open and pour them out---on a night of beer drinking, I typically fill a kitchen sink with sudsy, hot water, and as I pour out beers into a glass, I put the bottle in the sink.

When I go to bottle, I typically pour Star San solution into the clean bottles, swish around and let sit for five minutes or so, and continue on.

Bottling typically takes about an hour or 90 minutes. Done it this way for dozens of brews and never had issue with anything gone amiss.

Hate is such a strong word.. I HATE nothing about brewing.. At no point do I heave with hatred and curse what I am doing.. If you do, find another hobby (or seek therapy.. )

The things I like less.. hmm.. I would go with not having enough money to buy all the toys I want to buy.. I see some amazing things here, and being an impatient person I get a bit envious.. All kinds of plans for temperature control (mash, ferm and server), better milling, more automation etc, etc...

That said, anything to do with brewing is good..

I hate waiting to bottle condition. Better yet, I hate bottling.

Wait... I hate the hangover from brew day actually.. yeah thats much worse.

I'm not a fan of bottling. It's just a pain in the azz. Can't wait to get a keg setup going some day..,

Back