Leaking Weldless Bulkhead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSar

Reaction score
I have 2 aluminum stock pots that I plan on using to do some all grain brewing (1 for my MLT and 1 for my brew kettle). Last night I drilled a hole in one with a 7/8 step bit to install a weldless bulkhead. Once I made all the connections it was leaking slightly from the bottom.

I moved the o-ring to the inside and added a washer to the outside and the leaking didn't stop but it was lessened.

My question is will having the o-ring inside be a problem when I use it was a brew kettle? I don't want it to break down and cause off flavors.

Also, is there a way to completely stop the leaking?

If the oring is silicone, it will be fine for brewing.

Can you take a pic of your setup? or find one online that has all the pieces in the order you have yours?

I have 2 aluminum stock pots that I plan on using to do some all grain brewing (1 for my MLT and 1 for my brew kettle). Last night I drilled a hole in one with a 7/8 step bit to install a weldless bulkhead. Once I made all the connections it was leaking slightly from the bottom.

I moved the o-ring to the inside and added a washer to the outside and the leaking didn't stop but it was lessened.

My question is will having the o-ring inside be a problem when I use it was a brew kettle? I don't want it to break down and cause off flavors.

Also, is there a way to completely stop the leaking?

If it's leaking, it's not right.

There are bunches of folks here on HBT that use weldless bulkheads with great success. There are several threads that describe exactly how to install one and the exact parts to use.

So... as mentioned in the previous post, we need a bit more information. What parts are you using (did you buy a kit from someone?), and how is it installed?

If you bought a kit and followed the instructions, then one question I have is did you "de-burr" the hole after you drilled it? The sharp edge of the hole could have cut the o-ring. It is also possible to over tighten the coupling and deform the o-ring. Did you use silicone thread tape?

Ed

A 7/8" hole will be loose for the nipple.

You might have to get several more wraps of teflon tape on the threads and around the center portion of the nipple before you slide it through the hole.

Pictures inside and out of the fitting installation would help.

Back