Orange Cascade v2.0 Brewday has begun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know you need to collaborate with yuri, ditch the Johnson controller and replace it with a USB cord and a laptop. To the point where you have to crush the grain, dough in and walk away.

That would entail getting some logic in my valves and such... heh. Sounds cool, but way way way out of my league. It also does not fit my design philosophy.

It also does not fit my design philosophy.

Wait, you had a philosophy behind your design? You told me it all came to you in a multi colored dream, after too much orange cascade :D
I tried my kegged OC last night. Since i have no voice (laryngitus) and didnt feel for crap, it knocked me out. I do remember the wife getting into it and saying it was one of my best beers to date. So, Im hoping she was right, as I have no recollection of the event :cross:
Woke up to 35 below again. Cripes. Should only last a week this time.
Well back to work. I have a macbook that someone poured a glass of water on, and now they cant figure why it wont turn on anymore :drunk:
Adios for now.....

The brew is still chugging along. First day it was chugging, day two it was not even bubbling (more of a constant outgassing), today it is back to a nice constant chugging. Krausen reached about 2-3" thick, that is all. Temp has been steady at 64F the entire time.

Looking forward to getting this thing secondaried and dry hopped in a week or two.

Day 4... slowed quite a lot... still about 1" krausen on top at 63F.

Day 5, stll bubbling... I head to Dallas tomorrow so it will finish up in the primary alone.

Here is the compilation:

Pol, first let me say, I love your rig. Very nice work. I'm getting ready to brew my 4th AG batch, and I'm going to do this recipe. I had a couple of questions for you.

First, I use a DIY "Bazooka-T" type of filter on my dip tube. I don't think it will be very effective filtering out the 4 oz of pellet hops used in this recipe. I saw in your video that you use a "Chore Boy" type copper scrubber for a filter. Does that work well? My LHBS doesn't have sweet orange peel or coriander. I don't have a mortar and pistil. Think I could use 1oz of ground coriander from the spice section of my grocery store?.. I'm hoping to find sweet orange peel there as well.

Once again, nice work. I'm planning a similar build.

Pol, first let me say, I love your rig. Very nice work. I'm getting ready to brew my 4th AG batch, and I'm going to do this recipe. I had a couple of questions for you.

First, I use a DIY "Bazooka-T" type of filter on my dip tube. I don't think it will be very effective filtering out the 4 oz of pellet hops used in this recipe. I saw in your video that you use a "Chore Boy" type copper scrubber for a filter. Does that work well? My LHBS doesn't have sweet orange peel or coriander. I don't have a mortar and pistil. Think I could use 1oz of ground coriander from the spice section of my grocery store?.. I'm hoping to find sweet orange peel there as well.

Once again, nice work. I'm planning a similar build.

I have some threads here detailing my build, it is also featured in the March/April BYO magazine. As for the scrubby I use to filter hops, it works REALLY well for leaf hops, which I use. It may work "ok" for pellet, but not as well I presume.

When I use pellet, I luckily have a rotating racking arm in my BK, so I just set it to leave about .4 gallons in the BK.

You can probably use the coriander from the super market, though I think you will have a tough time finding sweet orange peel there. I use a coffee grinder for my coriander.

I found a 2 oz. jar of this at my local Co-Op. Orange Peel Spices & Seasonings. I tasted it and it is not very bitter, and is orange & white in color. Tastes quite pleasant... I think it will work well. They also had whole coriander seeds and a mortar and pestle, so I'm good to go for a group brew party tomorrow. I'll be the only person doing an AG batch, hopefully it will inspire one of the other 3 brewers to consider making the jump to AG :)

I found a 2 oz. jar of this at my local Co-Op. Orange Peel Spices & Seasonings. I tasted it and it is not very bitter, and is orange & white in color. Tastes quite pleasant... I think it will work well. They also had whole coriander seeds and a mortar and pestle, so I'm good to go for a group brew party tomorrow. I'll be the only person doing an AG batch, hopefully it will inspire one of the other 3 brewers to consider making the jump to AG :)

Good deal, if you can, post here and let me know how that spice works.

Woohoo I am SOOO messed up on this stuff right now!!!! YYYEYYYEAEHH :drunk:

I am doing SOOOO well... I am hitting up Chicago, DC and NYC this week for Delta... leaving in the morn!

Flying was fine... good day in fact, just got to the Crown in Laguardia.

Almost 3 weeks on the yeast, sending it to secondary with the dry hop in a couple days when I get back home!

Three weeks in the primary, hit the secondary today at 1.019... that is 71.1% attenuation. Remember I hit 1.069 with the OG, and used 1.5 pounds of 40L.

Dry hopping began today with 2 ounces of 7.2AA Cascade for a couple weeks. The hydrometer sample tasted SO GOOD. Lovin' it

:D

Kegged this beer today. It is a nice copper color. It is well balanced, maybe could use more IBUs but, that is because my eff. jumped to 85% and I ended up at 1.069, finished at 1.018 for a 6.6% brew.

Dry hopped for three weeks.

Attenuated to almost 74%

Beer is magically horrible now, dumping the entire keg! It is sour as can be and arguably the worst beer I have ever tasted. What happened to it? I have no idea, but it is wretched now. Preliminary tasting was good, this stuff is now crap.

It tastes like dish soap.

Ahoy hoy,
Egad, you lost a whole keg of OC? I thought I felt a tremor in the force. Dude I have 3 batches now, one bottled thats great, and 2 still in secondary, one with the toasted malt i told you about. I wonder if your keg has some residue from cleaning or whatnot in it? Thats a shame, for sure. Let me know if you figure out what happened!

The keg was just kicked, I refilled it with no washing... I have done this many times with no ill effects. Somehow, it turned gross though, it is a shame. I will be brewing again soon once I get my silicone hoses and sight glass hooked up. Did some mill testing today.

I am sorry about that. We've all been there and i know nothing we could say would make you feel better. I'm just glad you have other kegs of beer to help weather the storm.

Sorry to hear about the batch..

Any chance removing the dry hops and letting it sit, that it could mellow.
I had an experimental batch with my son and after dry hopping it got nasty. I removed them and let it sit a week and it was much better. It has been resting another 6 weeks, I guess it is time to sample it again.

It is off the dry hops.. it tasted fine going into the keg, after a week in the keg it tastes sour, soapy... gross. Never had this happen before, it is certainly a disappointment.

I don't always disassemble my kegs for cleaning, but I do always rinse with some sanitizer, and then dispense the sanitizer through the keg so that the dip tube and poppets get the washing as well.
Almost every empty keg I open needs some washing out, there's always some trub clinging to the bottom.
It could be your dry hop, or it could be something else. I had a dry hop beer taste wonderful the first few days and then taste odd the day after. Either my taste buds went haywire or it mellowed back out a week after I pulled the hops.
Is there a link to this orange cascade recipe? I'm planning to use the peels from the clementines that are so damn tasty and easy to peel. They dry out nicely on the kitchen counter.

I don't always disassemble my kegs for cleaning, but I do always rinse with some sanitizer, and then dispense the sanitizer through the keg so that the dip tube and poppets get the washing as well.
Almost every empty keg I open needs some washing out, there's always some trub clinging to the bottom.
It could be your dry hop, or it could be something else. I had a dry hop beer taste wonderful the first few days and then taste odd the day after. Either my taste buds went haywire or it mellowed back out a week after I pulled the hops.
Is there a link to this orange cascade recipe? I'm planning to use the peels from the clementines that are so damn tasty and easy to peel. They dry out nicely on the kitchen counter.

Yeah, the recipe is in this thread. I did have one problem brewing it... I got 85% eff. and overshot my OG wildly. So, it is a little hotter than I had hoped, but it was fermented at 65F. I am hoping that a little time in the keg will help out.

Update... after almost 2 weeks in the keg... I drank a pint today and it was pleasing! Not what I want just yet, but MUCH better than a week or so ago... odd.

Anyhow, I do like the addition of the darker crystal, it adds a little more depth and color. We shall see how it is 2 weeks from now!

Okay, maybe my taste buds were off while I was recovering from my near death experience, but drinking this brew today, it was awesome.

I like the darker crystal malt... love it in fact.

The one where I was only concious for about 6 hours a day for a week... that one

I seriously think it was my taste buds... when I was a kid, if I got deathly ill, ketchup tasted like vinegar and it would almost make me vomit.

I can drink this stuff all day now! The darker crystal really did add some depth and complexity. Remember though that I brewed this at an OG of 1.069 as well, my eff. jump really changed it.

Dont fear the beer... this is good stuff!! I am enjoying my tweak on the original recipe!

Back