Developing taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tartan

Reaction score
My first batch has been fermenting for about three days now, I tasted a spoonful a minute ago and the it was really bitter. Im making a Dark Lagger.

My question is whether the taste will improve drastically after fermentation and aging is complete? Or will it simply add more subtleties and more flavors on top of this current flavor?

Yes, give it time. But don't let that keep you from tasting it. Real beer is always changing in flavor and it's always wonderful to see how a beer grows and ages.

Absolutely, it will taste better after time. Also, keep in mind that at room temperature, all adjuncts are very up front, including bitterness. There's a reason that BMC advertise "ice cold beer" all the time- they want to neuter the flavor and bitterness in favor of drinkability.

It will only get better with time. Like jdp said i wait till its time to bottle then ill try some then and then one beer every couple of days. Its a good way to see what aging does to the taste of a beer. I even save a 6er of every batch and let is age for 2 to 3 months in a darks place and try one beer a month .

Back