us05 and wlp001 temp range problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
So I have an Ipa in my term chamber right now at 64 degrees that used us05. I have a vial of wlp001 and wanted to brew another beer. But wlp001 temp range is 68-72. Should I raise the temp of the chamber, which would also change the temp of the Ipa. Or wait until the Ipa is done? Any suggestions?

either yeast (they're the same strain) is fine down to about 58F.

What exactly do I do with the slurry? Pitch right onto it? Or wash it? Im new to trucking yeast

I plan my brews so I keg on Friday night & brew on Saturday. I'll save a pint of the thick slurry from the fermenter in a sanitized pint size canning jar & then refrigerate it. Thick slurry is mostly yeast with very little beer. When you're ready to pitch it there will be some beer on top of the yeast. Decant the beer & pitch the yeast. You need about 1/2 pint of actual yeast per 5 gallons for most Ales. Double that for Lagers. I have held the yeast slurry in the fridge for a week with no issues. Pitch the yeast right from the fridge after you decant it. It doesn't have to be warmed up. It's when you go the other way (yeast warmer than the wort) is when you can shock the yeast. Cheers!!!

Back