Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamilton31206

Reaction score
So I need to dry hop with 2oz whole leaf in a 6.5 gallon carboy but i've heard what a pain in the arse it is to get the muslin bag out afterwards. I was wondering what the cons are to using a plastic brew bucket for the secondary are as I have never done this before. Do I loose any quality in the beer by racking into a plastic secondary?

Just leave the beer in the primary and add your dry hops to it.

Bull

Agreed. Right now I have 4 ounces of pellets dry hopping in a bag that I suspended in the primary fermentation bucket after primary fermentation was finished.

Like the others said, you can dry-hop in the primary. If your primary is a carboy and you're worried about getting the bag in and out (seems to be the point of your post)...well, you can always dump the hops in without a bag, and tie the bag around the siphon inlet to act as a filter when you rack to your bottling bucket. Or not even bother with that and just siphon carefully (I can't imagine leaf-size bits easily getting through my autosiphon).

The issue with doing secondary in a bucket is head space. When you primary in a bucket, the CO2 created by fermentation protects the beer from oxygen exposure, so as long as you don't mess with it too much this blanket of CO2 protects that exposed area (which is as big a surface as the mouth of the bucket). A 5-gallon carboy that is usually used as a secondary is used because the 5 gallons of beer will reach up into the narrow neck of the container, making an area maybe just a few inches across that's exposed to air, which is important because at this point the beer isn't producing much CO2. The big thing to worry about doing a secondary in a bucket, basically, is that it increases the risk of oxidation.

just did this - had to cram 2.0 oz of simcoe into my carboy... dreading getting it out. .lol.

The issue with doing secondary in a bucket is head space. When you primary in a bucket, the CO2 created by fermentation protects the beer from oxygen exposure, so as long as you don't mess with it too much this blanket of CO2 protects that exposed area (which is as big a surface as the mouth of the bucket). A 5-gallon carboy that is usually used as a secondary is used because the 5 gallons of beer will reach up into the narrow neck of the container, making an area maybe just a few inches across that's exposed to air, which is important because at this point the beer isn't producing much CO2. The big thing to worry about doing a secondary in a bucket, basically, is that it increases the risk of oxidation.

Yes and no. Oxidation is the risk but it mainly comes from extended secondaries because the plastic is oxygen permeable and glass is not (better bottles mostly are not as well). Also those leaf bits are more likely to clog your auto siphon than get in your beer IME.

Ditto on racking through the bag. Work like a champ. Have a Pliney the Elder going with 8 ozs. dry hops right now. Can't wait to keg!!!!! UGGHHH!!!!

Like the others said, you can dry-hop in the primary. If your primary is a carboy and you're worried about getting the bag in and out (seems to be the point of your post)...well, you can always dump the hops in without a bag, and tie the bag around the siphon inlet to act as a filter when you rack to your bottling bucket. Or not even bother with that and just siphon carefully (I can't imagine leaf-size bits easily getting through my autosiphon).

I'm not a fan of dry hopping in the primary only because the hop oils stick to the yeast and I don't like giving up any of my hops to those damn dirty yeast.

I'm not a fan of dry hopping in the primary only because the hop oils stick to the yeast and I don't like giving up any of my hops to those damn dirty yeast.

I prefer not to dry hop primaries because it's easier to wash the yeast if I dry hop in a secondary. I don't like giving up any of my yeast to those damn dirty hops.:D

I prefer not to dry hop primaries because it's easier to wash the yeast if I dry hop in a secondary. I don't like giving up any of my yeast to those damn dirty hops.:D

You only have to worry a lot about that if you don't wait for the beer to clear to a slight haze 1st after reaching FG. At that point,it's not the settled yeast,but what little is left in suspension you need to be concerned with. It's enough to carb the bottles,but not enough to drag the hop oils out very much at all.
And when you rack to a secondary,the beer still has suspended yeast in it. Either way,a small amount of yeast is present. So you don't need to rack to secondary to dry hop. Just make sure it's settled real good 1st. That's also why I like the cooper's micro brew FV. It has a lid some 12" or so in diameter,making it easy to get in/out.
Not to mention,CO2 is a heavier gas than O2,making it stay settled in on top of your brew when gently dropping the bagged hops in. Then close it right back up with zero jostling. It won't get Oxygenated that way. You need to do quite a bit to get enough O2 in there to worry about.

Use a funnel. I don't use a bag - I want as much contact with the wort as possible. When it comes time to transfer, I tie the bag over the end of the siphon tube. Sterilized of course. YMMV.

getting whole leaf into a carboy was more of a hassle for me than trying to get them out

I dry hop in my carboy,typically in the secondary, with whole hops and I don't even bother with muslin bags. Just thrown em' in so when you rack for bottling or kegging you don't have to worry about getting a damn bag out. It's not like your not going to clean your carboy anyways.

Back