Sanyo vs GE vs Whirlpool for DIY keg fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
Greetings from Columbus-

When I first started homebrewing I used to think that I would never grow tired of bottling. Well, guess what...I am tired of bottling and thinking about upgrading my hobby to a two-tap keg system using a mini-fridge. The keg side of the project is straightforward. The fridge side is not. Here is my dilemma.

I could purchase the standard Sanyo 4912 for $150-175 from Best Buy or I could get creative with some offerings on Craigslist in the area. I have found a few that would be $25-50 but the issue is that none of them are Sanyos. There are a few GE's and a Whirlpool. The problem is that none of the instructions on line mention how to convert those brands and most tutorials focus solely on the Sanyos.

Can I use any mini fridge? What issues do you anticipate from other brands? Is the bottom line that I should just not be cheap and go for the good Sanyo?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Jeff

I got a kick a$$ GE 6.9 Cu Footer that fits exactly 5 cornys and a 5 # co2 tank like its its job, I would look for that model. It was two twenty something but i got the guy down to about 190. definatly haggle with the salesman. good luck! o yea thats 5 cornys with a collar on it, 3 without the collar.

Well, the Sanyo fits two kegs and a tank, and there is a fairly easy way to make sure you don't drill through a freon line in the top. Those other fridges should work, but before you buy measure up a keg plus fittings and make sure it fits inside (both height-wise and depth-wise). Unless the fridge is really tiny, I doubt you'd have a problem with the depth (although you may not be able to build a shelf and nestle the tank behind the kegs).

You can probably use the cornstarch and alcohol to check the top of the fridge for coils. If you can't tell if there are lines there, you could get desperate (cut or take off the sheet metal), take the cop-out choice (put the taps in the door) or hope to get lucky (the "go to Vegas" option--just drill it!).

Any hardware (taps, shanks, a tower, etc.) you pick up should be re-usable if you have to abandon the fridge and go to a Sanyo. If you buy new, they can run you at least $200. The $50 you're out if the fridge doesn't work is pretty minor.

If one of those fridges is older, though, it's going to use more electricity (which isn't free these days). I think my Sanyo claims to use $24/yr, which isn't bad.

The problem is that none of the instructions on line mention how to convert those brands and most tutorials focus solely on the Sanyos.

And for good reason. It is one of the few counter-height fridges that does not have an interior freezer compartment. Such a freezer compartment cannot be removed.

You might be able to bend the freezer compartment, but you may also rupture the coolant line and brick the whole thing.

Back