Lager questions?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I brewed an AHBS Pilsner Urquell clone and had a few questions:

I followed the directions and fermented at about 54 F and lagered 4 weeks at @35 F. After this I kegged it and force carbed it.

After several weeks in the keg and about 4-5 pints drawn off it, it has failed to clear. It kind of resembles a hefe.

Any ideas?

BTW I did do a 24hr diacetyl rest.

Thanks,
Al

Was it all grain? If so, did you do a protein rest? Have you kept it at 35°F for all those several weeks?

That's a long time that it hasn't cleared. The diacetyl rest wouldn't have anything to do with the haze.

TL

Finings sound like a good idea to me, too. You can ue them in the keg. Just depressurize, open up, add the finings as appropriate, close up, and repressurize. After you let it settle for a few days, you may need to toss the next half pint, pint, or so out, but you should have much clearer beer.

TL

could be chill haze. Try polyclar in the keg for a few days and then rack off the keg. If that don't clear it then unfortunatly it may be there until you drink it all. It is nothing to be concerned about other than the lack of clarity can be frustrating when looking at something that is supposed to be clear, lol.

srm775 said:
try geletin or some other fining agent.

Is gelatin the same as isinglass? I have neither on hand, would Irish moss accomplish the same thing? I have some of that.

Can any of these effect the flavor? This is just for aesthetics so if it effects the taste, I'll just leave it as is. Also, can anybody recommend how much to use on the 5 gallon keg?

Thanks,
Al

Those are 3 different things. I've never used isenglass, but irish moss has to be boiled with the wort to work. You could use some plain gelatin though.

Back