Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhume01

Reaction score
This is what I'm brewing from the Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer - All Grain

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/82fb95b0/crafty-gremlyn-brewing-holiday-spiced-porter

Today is week 3 of being in the primary fermenter. How long do I keep this in the primary fermenter before I move it to the secondary? How long do I keep it in the secondary? I looked inside the bucket and the yeast appears to be almost "climbing" the inside sides of the bucket. Is this normal? This is my first all grain brew as opposed to malt so just wanted to make sure all is going smooth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DSCN0279.jpg

everything looks good & normal. keep that fermenter closed as much as possible. get a better bottle or glass fermenter if you want to admire the yeast at work :mug:

there is no need to move to secondary, unless you are going to add something like fruit. if not, just keep it in primary for 4 weeks then bottle/keg. if your sanitation is good, you could keep it in primary twice as long as that (if not longer still). moving to secondary = increased risk of infection for little gain.

although a lot of recipes call for a secondary, a lot of people have moved away from it. even authorities like Zainashef and Palmer have changed their minds on the necessity of secondary.

Latest posts

Back