All-Simcoe SMaSH-IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBM30075

Reaction score
I've recently done a SMaSH APA that I'm waiting to finish. I liked it (sampled at transfer to primary), plus making it was nice and simple. Even if adding more ingredients isn't REALLY more complicated, I like that there are truly 4 ingredients.

With that in mind, here's a recipe I'm thinking about brewing. Keep in mind that I LOVE Simcoe hops. I've used them as the bittering hop for every IPA (or IIPA) I've ever done and have loved all of them.

Ingredients:
13.00 lb. Maris Otter Pale Malt
2.00 oz. Simcoe (12.2%) FWH (84.1 IBU)
1.00 oz. Simcoe (12.2%) 20 min. (23.2 IBU)
1.00 oz. Simcoe (12.2%) 5 min. (7.6 IBU)
2 pkgs. SafAle US-05 yeast

Beer Smith Calculations:
OG: 1.069 (70% eff.)
FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.05%
Color: 6.1 SRM (this is actually within the style guidelines)
Bitterness: 114.9 IBU

Although this blows the upper end of the IBU range out of the water, I've been interested to try something with a hop explosion like this. I've done a couple of IIPAs and Barleywines, but I'm interested to see what will happen with a less malty, lower ABV beer with hops still out the yin-yang.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

seems unbalanced. i'd think without any crystal malts in there you'd want to tone down the IBUs?

First, I love Simcoe hops. Probably my favorite. Second, check out this recipe:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/if-you-havent-tried-making-ipa-only-late-hops-137615/

I really like the concept of adding hops at the 20 minute mark rather than at 60 minutes. I think your SMaSH recipe would be amazing if you added all the hops late. Good luck!

Edit: Duh...I just reread your recipe and you're doing FWH and then a 20 and a 5. This really sounds like it will be an amazingly piney IPA. Let us know how it comes out!

That recipe is not hops out the yin-yang, but bitterness (IBU's) out the yin yang. I am not against a simcoe/MO SMaSH IPA, but I think you should try something with more late hops.

Here's what I did with simcoe recently.

I'd also consider mashing pretty high, maybe 158 if I were you.

edit: kaya beat me to it. Even linked to the same thread!

That recipe is not hops out the yin-yang, but bitterness (IBU's) out the yin yang. I am not against a simcoe/MO SMaSH IPA, but I think you should try something with more late hops.

Here's what I did with simcoe recently.

I'd also consider mashing pretty high, maybe 158 if I were you.

edit: kaya beat me to it. Even linked to the same thread!

Yeah, loved your idea for late hops, especially Simcoe!:mug:

From what I've read, FWH gives high IBUs but without a harsh bitterness. So, wouldn't my recipe be smooth in bitterness and big on flavor and aroma?

From what I've read, FWH gives high IBUs but without a harsh bitterness. So, wouldn't my recipe be smooth in bitterness and big on flavor and aroma?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't tried a FWH brew yet.

My SMaSH APA was FWH. Hop profile seemed fairly smooth going into primary.

Do you mean going into secondary?

FWH didn't impress me when I tried it. Lots of late hops are where flavor and aroma come from IMO.

I brewed my winter brown ale yesterday and I used willamette for flavor/aroma. I used 2oz @ 25min, 2oz @ 10min, and 2oz @ 5mins, and that was not for an IPA, but a double brown.

i would dry hop

+1. And add more late kettle additions. Several ounces more. That will give you more IBUs, so you may want to drop back a bit of the FWH, but don't worry about it being out of balance at those IBUs. It will be, but it will likely be tasty that way.

I would go:

1.5oz FWH
1oz 20min
1oz 10min
1oz 5 min
1oz 0 min
Dry Hop 2 oz

Should put you at similar IBUs, but you need AT LEAST that for hops if you're looking for a "hop explosion". With my experience w/ US-05, I'd mash around 156F, maybe even higher to end at 1.015. Personally, I would mash at maybe 153-4F and dry it out even more (1.013ish), but that's just me. Could be good either way.

No, I tasted it going into primary and liked the flavor. I know it changes a lot, but I've tasted every batch of mine at this stage and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get.

I know it's kind of like tasting bread dough, but it seems to work OK.

Fair enough. If that amount provides the flavor you are looking for, keep it up. I'm just saying many would say a hop explosion IPA would either double or triple the late hope additions or dry hop a lot. Like the dry hopping on this mf https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-bastid-21229/
Maybe a good balance would be brewing it as is with your amount of finishing & flavor hops, then just taste it going into the secondary (keep in mind big hop flavor can mellow and fade quickly) and just dryhop if it's not enough.

@Ketch,

That response wasn't to you :). It was @Coastarine.

I hadn't yet seen your responses. I'll think about your suggestions.

My experience with US-05 shows that even mashing at 150-152, I'll be lucky to get down to 1.015. I would love to get down to 1.012 or 1.013.

I wonder if it's a difference in our water?

No, I tasted it going into primary and liked the flavor. I know it changes a lot, but I've tasted every batch of mine at this stage and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get.

I know it's kind of like tasting bread dough, but it seems to work OK.

That's cool, I only tasted fresh wort once, and once was enough for me:cross:

Back