Munton's Gold Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

Reaction score
As my first kit, I have a Munton's Gold Pilsner in the fermenting bucket since April 1st. Per the instructions:
"cover the fermenter and leave to stand for 4-6 days in a warm place (between 18-20 C, 65-70 F). Fermentation will be finished when the bubbles cease to rise (if you have a hydrometer, when the gravity remains constant below 1008°) Transfer the beer into bottles or pressure barrel with a little sugar (1/2 teaspoonful per pint. 85 grams (3 ozs) per pressure barrel) which will condition the beer. Stand bottles or barrel in a warm place for 2 days then leave for 14 days in a cool place or until the beer is clear."

I have a 1.000 SG, but I would rather rack it into a carboy and let it sit until Saturday evening and then bottle. Since this is my first kit, I am extra cautious, but you BrewMasters seem to have "Been there, done that" for almost every situation. So am I OK to transfer into a 6 gallon carboy this evening? Will this also help the clarity of the beer once it's bottled? Your advice is appreciated.

I am thinking of trying the Muntons Gold as well, I think I will leave in Primary for 3 weeks and then Bottle

DISCLAIMER: I am a noob, a well educated noob, but still a noob.

OP. From what I have read, a secondary will help with clarity based on you leave x inches of "stuff" on the bottom of the primary. More will still fall in secondary but there is less chance of getting the "stuff" into bottles as there is less there. :rockin:

90% of the posts I have read say leave it in primary until you get the same hydrometer reading for 24 or 36 hours straight. x days does not = bottle.

Do you think the extended time in the primary still applies to a no boil kit too?

Yeah, the extended time is for the yeast to do it's thing, so I don't believe it matters if it is hot malt or all grain..

I racked it to a 6 gallon carboy this evening and wow---did I leave a lot of sediment behind in the primary! I am glad that I made the transfer as I'm sure it will make for a much cleaner bottle of beer!

what does the muntons gold come with? Is it 1 can of hopped extract and the sugar, or is it something else..?

I have brewed this kit, for my taste there is not much hop aroma taste in that kit. I suggest dry hopping with saaz or similar hops. Far from the Pilsner Urquell and it comes with ale yeast. Next time I will dry hop it with saaz and I think it might be OK.

Latest posts

Back