Can I multi-step mash like a decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I'm going to be attempting my first Flanders mash schedule this weekend for a Flanders Red. I don't remember the specific temps, but it's a series of rests at something like 121,144,156, and 168 or something like that. I mash in a converted 10 gallon circular cooler with a ball valve, so direct heat isn't an option.

Can I perform this like a decoction, mash in at 1.3qts/lb, and pull part of the mash and heat it to boiling to reach the next step temperature? I'm not really worried about unfermentables, as they'll help increase the sour flavor profile. I don't plan on resting the decocted portions, just pulling enough to heat and reach the next step. I understand I can mash out to reach 168 too. Thanks.

I've read about the single step but want to try the Flanders mash as it's my second wild beer and first Flanders.

I've been brewing all grain for 1.5 years, but have never attemted a multi-step mash so forgive my lack of knowledge here. I thought about adding more liquor as a second option. What kind of qt/grain ratio do you use for the first infusion. My only worry as that I'd end up with a very thin mash. What kind of mash ratio do you end up at?

I've only done one decoction so I'm no expert, but a couple thoughts -
1) Boiling the decoction does change flavor somewhat - I don't know that matters here
2) Boiling also denatures enzymes. If you pull too much liquid in your first 2 decoctions, you may not have enough active enzymes for the 156 rest. I assume you would pull thick portions, except when moving to 168.

I've read about the single step but want to try the Flanders mash as it's my second wild beer and first Flanders.

I've been brewing all grain for 1.5 years, but have never attemted a multi-step mash so forgive my lack of knowledge here. I thought about adding more liquor as a second option. What kind of qt/grain ratio do you use for the first infusion. My only worry as that I'd end up with a very thin mash. What kind of mash ratio do you end up at?

I start with a 1.33 qt/lb for the first step and finish with not more than a 3.33 qt/lb. If I need to adjust for final boil off I do that in the sparge.

Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" explains how to do a step mash without direct heat. The rest at 121 will be with a relatively thick mash, thinning with each subsequent step. By using 200+ degree water additions you can reach your step temps without ending up too thin.

I'd just like to have some room left to sparge. I usually get 80-83% efficiency with a batch sparge and want to be able to make sure my numbers will be somewhat accurate.

The good thing is, I'll still end up with really tasty beer. :)

Back