New keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, I want to give credit to all others on here that I "borrowed" ideas from. Nothing, except for aesthetics, are my original idea and this site has been a huge asset and motivation for this build.

Second, I used to design and build custom furniture so the actual design and build of the case wasn't that difficult other that I no longer have a table saw or shop to build in. I purchased a miter saw from work (Lowe's) and I still have power tools like routers, table top band saw, etc.. Had to build on small back patio and living room. Was a total pain and took twice as long.

Third, my wife and I are from New Mexico transplanted to Florida and I decided we would do a collaborative piece that reminded us of home with her doing the front paintings, which are kokpellis (anceint fertility god). I think what she did made the piece. My original idea of doing veneer inlay would have taken forever and it got her involved. She loved it.
DSCN0950.jpg

front.jpg

front 2.jpg

taps.jpg

top.jpg

The top is made of patina copper and the case is made of dimensional pine I got from work. Would have loved to have used different material, but without a table saw I used what was available. Pine is traditional is Southwest furniture so it fits.

Purchased 9 cu. ft. freezer from work that will fit four 5 gal. kegs and one 3 gal. (my wife's and a requirement for the build). Johnson controller, working on fans to move air and lights around case. Still lots to do and will post as I get complete.

open.jpg

inside left.jpg

inside right.jpg

Nice! I do believe that's one of the the nicer looking keezer's I've seen on here so far. Definitely really cool design, and always helps to get SWMBO involved in the process. I may have to recruit my wife to do some painting once I build mine, since she LOVES drawing and painting...

BeardedIdiot-Thanks. It was really nice to bring her aboard on this. Now it is ours and not mine.

CGVT-much appreciated.

GuflCoastGirl-Thank you. Having her help really made it easier for me. Also, she is very talented and I trusted she would do something awesome.

Stalewater-I appreciate the complement. There are several awesome examples I pulled from on this site. To the top is 41" add another foot to the bottom of the tap.

magnificent. As a fellow Land of Enchantment resident I love the NM design. FWIW I have no space between the sheathing and my chest freezer, it's lasted 8 years so far out in my garage which is usually well over 100F all summer long.

corkybstewart-Thanks. We are missing the wide open spaces of home and hope to get back in the near future. I allowed @ 3" all around the freezer to give it "breathing" room. The back is open and I plan to put fans at the openings that are temperature controlled. Waiting for them to come in and I will post this part of the build later.

Man....that thing is spectacular! I love when people think outside of the box and make their keezers creative and 100% original. Both you and your wife are very talented. Nice work! :mug:

Oh brother, that thing is sweet! Makes me embarrassed how mine will turn out once I slap four boards together and spray paint it lol.

Thought I would share some pics of the build and of new progress made so far. I built the frame on 3/4" MDF and put wheels underneath. The frame was each frame was dowled together and attached to each other with cleats. I made brakets to hold 1/4" panels that my wife painted. Everything is made to be disassembled.
DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

Here the frame is stained using oil based paint. I wipe the paint on thick then wipe off excess. I do this for several reasons. One, it doesn't leave blotchy marks on pine or other woods. Two, I can virtually use any color out there and southwest furniture can be very colorful. We decided on something a little less bold so as to not compete with the paintings and top.

DSCN0938.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

Here is a finished panel.
DSCN0942.jpg

Here is the back. I took the hinges off the freezer and attached to the top and 2x4 which can be removed to access freezer if needed. I removed the plastic shell from the top of the freezer and removed the insulation. I attached the wooden top to 1x2 frame and placed the insulation inside it. I the screwed the freezer top with the seal attached to the 1x2 and lined the inside with 1/2" insulation foam. When the top is down it is about 1/8" off the frame and is resting on the freezer lis seal.
DSCN0956.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

On the inside I got 1 1/2" pvc and lined the bottom with a wire grate to set the kegs on. I drilled holes in the pvc and had a piece go up the side that I attached a computer fan on that isn't too powerful but enough to move some air. I drilled 3-3" holes for the tower portion and placed a fan in the middle on to blow air to cool the beer lines. Both fans are connected to a switch that turns them off when the lid is opened so the cold air is not being blown out.
DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0957.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0965.jpg

Here is the back of the tower. Have a Cherry Dunkelweizen finishing up for the open line. Hopefully, on Monday.
DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0954.jpg

Now this is what it is all about. A nice Belgian Wit. I have built some awesome pieces of furniture in my life. In fact, I was a cover story for a national woodworking magazine. But this has to be the best because it dispenses great beer.
DSCN0969.jpg

Wife still needs to finish the side panels and I am thinking about lights on the bottom. I will post as more progress is done. As I said before, everything I have done, except astettics, someone else had done on this site and I thank you for the inspiration. Also, we truly appreciate the positive comments.

GulfCoastGirl-I did that so my wife could finish up the panels when she had time and I could continue with the build. She is working on her Masters and working full time. She can take as long as she needs. You are right, we could do a different theme if we wanted. Didn't think of that.

Back