Sediment Depth as Indication of % carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Sediment is different in every cased, it's based on many factors, like the grain bill, whether or not you used a long primary or secondary, and the flocculation capacity of your yeast. And how good you were at racking to your bottling bucket.

I get very little sediment in most of my bottled anyway just by log primarying. Many beers I can nearly upending before getting that tiny bit in there.

Visual cues are always a poor way to judge. Since different variables affect things differently.

The yeast, she is a fickle beast. ;)

That's why even krausen's are not a good judge of a beers fermentation. The same yeast in a different grainbill can have a totally different looking krausen.

Plus just because a beer is carbed, doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like butt and need a couple weeks.

I find it is best just to wait at least three weeks before even bothering to check them.

I know visual cues aren't the best I just don't want to waste a bottle and find out it's not carbed. was hoping there was a way to compare it to a fully carbed bottle of another batch but I guess I can't do that

I find it is best just to wait at least three weeks before even bothering to check them.

Ditto...to all of this. I still check a 12 oz @ 1 week, 2 weeks, etc, but it's never worth it until 3+. You figure I'd learn...

I know visual cues aren't the best I just don't want to waste a bottle and find out it's not carbed. was hoping there was a way to compare it to a fully carbed bottle of another batch but I guess I can't do that

Then I would just wait it out. Heck since many times, especially with bigger beers, even 3 weeks isn't enough then waiting longer that that to start is fine as well.

I think flyangler once posited that for every 10 degrees in grav points above 1.050 he ads another week past the initial 3 weeks. So for a 1.060 he waits 4, 1.070, 5, etc.

For me, I'm not out to win a race, I don't care if my beer takes 3 weeks, or 8 weeks to be drinkable, so I don't try to do anything special. For the most part I brew relatively regularly, so I have a fairly deep pipeline, of stuff at all levels of maturation, from things bulk aging for 6 months or more, to stuff that I pitched yeast 2 weeks ago, to stuff that I bottled 3 weeks ago, to stuff I bottled over the summer. So I'm not necessarily rushing to drink everything I make. I wait 3 weeks minimum before trying ANYTHING I make these day...if it's ready, great, if it's not...back in the closet.

Back