How to separate fruit sediment from mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdlp

Reaction score
I made the mistake of putting fruit in my mead without a bag. Now, there's a bunch of sediment at the bottom of the vessel. I'm going to be bottling it soonish, so is the cap on my autosiphon sufficient to prevent most of the sediment from coming through? Or is there a better way to prevent the sediment from getting through?

IMG_5865.jpg
IMG_5864.jpg

Straining through cheesecloth works. You could also just make sure to not stir up the mead and keep the autosiphon out of the layer when bottling. The residue might plug the siphon, though.

Agree, with @lumbergh use a bit of cheesecloth in the end of your siphon. Also, take the sediment and cold crash it. Then ket it settle and decant..

Just carefully lower the siphon in and get it going in the middle of the jar. Don't let it suck air and just slowly drop it down so the anti-sediment tip just touches the top of the sediment layer. Keep the cane or autosiphon VERY still. The strawberries floating will not clog anything.

Latest posts

Back