Solenoid not opening with utility pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSeattle

Reaction score
I'm using a water solenoid to control my immersion chiller, and it works fine when attached to a faucet, but when I attach it to a utility pump to recirculate ice water, the solenoid doesn't open. I've tested this by disconnecting the downstream hose - no flow - and upstream - strong flow. The solenoid is rated 0.01-0.1 MPa. Perhaps the pump is putting too much pressure on so the solenoid can't open? What do you guys think is the problem?

Probably the other way around. Most solenoid valves have a minimum pressure to open. I would say your pump isn't meeting that requirement.

Depends on the design of the solenoid, but yes too high of a pressure can prevent a solenoid from opening.

What kind of pump and what kind of valve?

Superior Pump 91250, 1/4 hp. Valve is no name ("NY"?), rated for 0-0.8MPa. The pump has 25' of head which as I understand it translates to 10.8 psi or 0.08 MPa, which should be enough to open the solenoid but not too much. The solenoid was marketed for gravity use...

But it should be, it should be delivering 0.08 MPa which should be more than enough. But I guess, obviously not.

Can you guys recommend a truly low pressure solenoid?

Back