ipa fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob22

Reaction score
i brewed an ipa about 2 weeks ago. the starting gravity was 1.071 and i was looking for it to get down to 1.015 or so. i used 2 vials of wlp001 and it started bubbling after just 12 hours. its been at 1.019 for a couple days. Should i rack to a secondary to dry hop, wait a few more days, or is there something i can do to get it down a few points? thanks for any advice.

it was also fermenting at around 65 degrees and ive moved the temp to around 68 for the last day and a half

you are probably done, what is the recipe? Either you mashed high or this is an extract batch because you should have had plenty of yeast, I probably would have stuck the oxygen to it before the ferment but still 1.019 is pretty high for an IPA.

Are you happy with a FG of 1.019? if so then go for it, why not just toss the hops in the primary? What are you wanting to go to a secondary?

It very well could be you are done. When you say you fermented around 65, how much lower might the temperature have gone? When CA ale yeast is getting near done it can drop a bit early if the temps get below 64 or so, especially if the temp is dropping. If you still have it at 68 you might give it a soft swirl or stir. If you stir it at 68 degrees and don't see any further drop in gravity over the next day or two than it is done.

Back