If I brew a Maibock this weekend will it be ready by first week of March?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comet909

Reaction score
Deadline for this beer would be for a bock competition. Do I have enough time or did I procrastinate too much.

Wait if it's a bock I guess I'll call it PROCRASTINATOR.

Also this would be my first lager... Thanks.

I think you've procrastinated to much. If I'm not mistaken the tradition is to do these around the harvest and then store them until the spring. Like a regular bock is (supposedly) made in the spring and then stored in the summer for Oktoberfest. Lagers take longer to ferment out and require more yeast than an ale also.

You're probably pushing it. You might have a chance if you keg and can lager/carbonate at the same time. You can always try and see how it tastes. I've read that extended lagering may not be necessary....

The Vienna and Bock I brewed this fall were in primary for four weeks before I transferred them to kegs to carbonate/lager. After three-four weeks, they were carbonated and ready to drink. They improved over the next two weeks though.

The Maibock I brew calls for a minimum of 16-20 week aging period with a temp of between 36 and 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the replies. That's what my research has indicated. I'll know next year.

Thanks,

I was going to ask this same question. What do you guys think the shortest time you could lager it would be? Also is it absolutely necessary to get the temp to that 40* range or could you pass with around 50*?

50 is good for primary fermentation, but you need it below 45F for lagering, and the lower the better.

comet: you can try making a faux maibock with kolsch or san fran lager yeast. either would be ready in time

Back