CO2 leak = Bad Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Late last Sunday night before I left for work, I put my latest batch on the gas to force carbonate while I was gone. Got home last night and CRAP, no pressure on the guage or on the beer. Must have developed a leak somewhere that I didn't notice in my rush to get on the road. What, if any, kind of off flavors or problems can I expect from this?

Nothing should change as far as the beer is concerned.

Lack of CO2 just make the beer flat but there is still a blanket of CO2 on the beer.

good idea to get a repacement o-ring for your regulator everytime you fill your tank. they only cost a quater or so and we HBers conect and disconect a lot more often than bars do. I think that is when the o ring gets torn up.

Funny you mention this now. I just had this happen to me a couple of days ago. I was sitting at my bar with a couple of buddies and all of a sudden out of the blue HHHIIISSSSSSSSSSSS! damn gasket went. I quickly shut off the gas so I didn't loose it all and homebrewed an o-ring out of a flip top gasket I had laying around. needless to say next time i hit the weld supply store for gas I'm goanna grab a a couple.

I'd take that advice a step further. You should have at least one complete set of spare seals for your system at any given time. The expense is a tiny cost to offset the inevitable stress of trying to figure out how to deal with the problem when a seal goes.

kornkob said:
I'd take that advice a step further. You should have at least one complete set of spare seals for your system at any given time. The expense is a tiny cost to offset the inevitable stress of trying to figure out how to deal with the problem when a seal goes.

good advise!

Thanks for the replies. I always have several sets of o-rings and gaskets out in the shop. Turned out the damn pressure relief valve was not sealing completely. I now have a small squirt bottle of soapy water under the bar to periodically check this. Only bad thing is now I have to wait another week to try out the beer. :(

Back