Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled mine today. I left it in primary for the full three weeks. Of course I had to sample it, and it was awesome. Looked, tasted, and smelled great! I can't wait to try it again once it's carbed up and ready to go!

I tapped the half of this batch that I kegged last night. WOW! This is a nice beer. No hotness at all, which is scary because my batch is near 8%!

Thanks for a solid recipe!

I think a lot of us would like to try the blood orange. Maybe a PM for those interested.

I made this recipe and it has been in the primary for 8 days. Should I put the limeade in the primary or secondary? Also, I could not find those hops so I use an equal amount of halertauer hops instead. Hope it comes out good. I will try to find those hops and will likely make another batch.

I made this recipe and it has been in the primary for 8 days. Should I put the limeade in the primary or secondary? Also, I could not find those hops so I use an equal amount of halertauer hops instead. Hope it comes out good. I will try to find those hops and will likely make another batch.

there's no need to secondary so add the limeade to primary. also the hops are an important part of the recipe as they provide a lemon aroma/flavor to the beer.

For those asking about the blood orange recipe, I will post later this week...as for comments about primary or secondary, this beer doesn't require a secondary fermentation because it doesn't use whole fruits, instead it's 100% fermentable which requires no transfer....final comment on ingredients for this recipe: the hops and yeast are the most important part of this beer, third would be the limeade and then grain...so choose wisely as you sub ingredients in and out, of course it will still taste good, but with the right ingredients this beer is great...don't believe me, read the post from people who couldn't get an ingredient for the first batch but did for their second!

Thanks guys, you answered my questions. Where can I find the hops used in this beer? I am definitely making this beer many times in the future, so if I can get the ingredients I will stock up on them. You can't buy these hops in Alaska. Is it too late to add the limeade? I also can't find it up here, but will continue to look.

fishfoolz said:
Thanks guys, you answered my questions. Where can I find the hops used in this beer? I am definitely making this beer many times in the future, so if I can get the ingredients I will stock up on them. You can't buy these hops in Alaska. Is it too late to add the limeade? I also can't find it up here, but will continue to look.

Someone on this thread was in Alaska and found it all...but if not just do a google search for the ingredients and get them online.

This will be next for me. Anyone who did the extract grapefruit version have any specific suggestions outside of the initial post?

SD-SLIM said:
Someone on this thread was in Alaska and found it all...but if not just do a google search for the ingredients and get them online.

Will frozen limeade work as well? That is all I can find and I called every grocery store up here. They have every kind of freakin "simply" juice you can think of, except the limeade!

I was lucky enough to find all the ingredents for this one, its on day 5 and still bubbling away :D

I bottled mine just shy of 3 weeks last night. Too much going on this week to wait around for it.

Lime Lime Lime. It's very prevalent. I ended up going from 1.054-1.008 with Wyeast 3068. I took an extra sample when bottling last night that cost me topping off the last bottle. No worries, this stuff will be great. Perfect spring beer. Now I need to wait a while which will be hard.

This is definitely a recipe to keep around.

rideincircles said:
I bottled mine just shy of 3 weeks last night. Too much going on this week to wait around for it.

Lime Lime Lime. It's very prevalent. I ended up going from 1.054-1.008 with Wyeast 3068. I took an extra sample when bottling last night that cost me topping off the last bottle. No worries, this stuff will be great. Perfect spring beer. Now I need to wait a while which will be hard.

This is definitely a recipe to keep around.

I feel your pain on the waiting part! My samples tasted great. My batch has been bottled for a little over a week! Two more to go!

Cheers!

My advice...start brewing more now! Everyone who waited for this there first time were upset that it only last a few days when it's done...wash the yeast and go again!

I couldn't wait for spring/summer to get here so I brewed up the extract version on Saturday. Still strong fermentation, so I'm giving it another day before adding the limeade.

How did everyone calculate the abv? I took an OG, but the addition of the limeade will throw the OG - FG calculation off.

mdtwnj said:
I couldn't wait for spring/summer to get here so I brewed up the extract version on Saturday. Still strong fermentation, so I'm giving it another day before adding the limeade.

How did everyone calculate the abv? I took an OG, but the addition of the limeade will throw the OG - FG calculation off.

It was calculated earlier in the thread. It adds around .5%ABV.

Cheers!

I just tried this beer tonight. Pretty good, however I am not getting the lemon/lime taste. I get the banana and clove from the yeast, and the beer tastes good. It's like a regular hefe. Having said all of that, I did not use the correct hops which I think would have given it more citrus flavor. Also, I did not use the right limeade, I used concentrate. I am making this one again when I get the correct ingredients for sure. Another point to mention is that I used the extract recipe and added the pound of Vienna malt to steep. This added a little more fermentable sugars which did raise the ABV a little, I ended up at about 6%.

I just tried this beer tonight. Pretty good, however I am not getting the lemon/lime taste. I get the banana and clove from the yeast, and the beer tastes good. It's like a regular hefe. Having said all of that, I did not use the correct hops which I think would have given it more citrus flavor. Also, I did not use the right limeade, I used concentrate. I am making this one again when I get the correct ingredients for sure. Another point to mention is that I used the extract recipe and added the pound of Vienna malt to steep. This added a little more fermentable sugars which did raise the ABV a little, I ended up at about 6%.

the hops are crucial to the beer as they lend the lemon aroma and flavor. the simply limeade adds the lime flavors. If you change the recipe the finished beer will change as well.

I brewed this for my first try at kegging and it was gone 8 days after I kegged it. I brewed it one time last year and wasn't incredibly impressed right off the bat(I made it hoppier and used an american ale yeast). I decided to make it again and actually follow the recipe and it was incredible! MUST FOLLOW RECIPE!

razorbuck said:
I brewed this for my first try at kegging and it was gone 8 days after I kegged it. I brewed it one time last year and wasn't incredibly impressed right off the bat(I made it hoppier and used an american ale yeast). I decided to make it again and actually follow the recipe and it was incredible! MUST FOLLOW RECIPE!

Lol....before and after I posted this recipe, I tried probably close to 200 1 gallon variation batches...and I have found that about the only good substitutions are to switch out the Simply product for one of its other flavors to have a change in variety...glad you liked the recipe!

1.007 fg and at first taste before bottling its a lot of banana and a hint of lime. Anyone else have similar issues? Followed recipe to a T.

Whereas I'm not familiar with is Perticular strain, high fern temps will yeild banana esters in wheat beer strains, whereas cooler temps offer more spice and clove.

My first guess is that you fermented it on the warm side.

Brewskii said:
Whereas I'm not familiar with is Perticular strain, high fern temps will yeild banana esters in wheat beer strains, whereas cooler temps offer more spice and clove.

My first guess is that you fermented it on the warm side.

I would agree...you can bottle it and watch for some of that to go away!

58* in a swamp cooler. Im thinking that the ferm was so... violent... it may have raised a bit too high.

I tell you, the only problem I see with this beer so far is that I had my first beer after kegging on Wednesday and it is now Friday and the keg is almost gone! I really like the beer and will love it when I get the ingredients to make it the right way. Still a really good beer regardless!

My lemon lime hefe is gurgling away...uh pretty erratically and explosively. I don't have the headspace to contain completely but I think if I babysit it should be alright. Problem is I haven't added the limeade yet and the carboy will be full when it is added. While I'm waiting for it to calm down, I have a few questions.

How big of a reaction do you get when simply limeade is added?

I'm thinking about siphoning off some beer before adding the limeade. Can I add it back if I put it in the fridge? I could boil it down and then add it back. I don't have any idea what that would do to the taste.

Thoughts?

My lemon lime hefe is gurgling away...uh pretty erratically and explosively. I don't have the headspace to contain completely but I think if I babysit it should be alright. Problem is I haven't added the limeade yet and the carboy will be full when it is added. While I'm waiting for it to calm down, I have a few questions.

I'm thinking about siphoning off some beer before adding the limeade. Can I add it back if I put it in the fridge? I could boil it down and then add it back. I don't have any idea what that would do to the taste.

Thoughts?

I got a reaction similar to the initial fermentation activity after I added the Limeade.

As far as your other questions, I've never done anything like that before. If you don't have the headspace to add the Limeade, I'd probably just end up siphoning it off and probably dumping it. I know it would be hard to do, but I'm not sure what else you could do. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Good luck!

EDIT: How much beer are we talking about? In my previous statement I was imagining only a beer or two out of a 5gal batch... But if it's more than that (like a gallon) you could siphon it to a sanitized 1 gallon carboy and let it finish out there.

I got a reaction similar to the initial fermentation activity after I added the Limeade.

As far as your other questions, I've never done anything like that before. If you don't have the headspace to add the Limeade, I'd probably just end up siphoning it off and probably dumping it. I know it would be hard to do, but I'm not sure what else you could do. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Good luck!

EDIT: How much beer are we talking about? In my previous statement I was imagining only a beer or two out of a 5gal batch... But if it's more than that (like a gallon) you could siphon it to a sanitized 1 gallon carboy and let it finish out there.

Quarter to a half gallon.

dwall said:

Thoughts?

Don't waste any beer....sanitize a piece of aluminum foil, remove your airlock add limeade and then lightly form an upside down cap with the foil ( it should go about an inch down the side of the neck)....this will prevent containments and allow the gas to escape faster....caution, only use this for a max of a week.

Thoughts?

Blow Off Tube. Get in the habit of using one with every batch of beer. you never know when one will for ballistic and fill the airlock.

I brew a similar beer with just sorrachi Ace. I saw this recipe and really want to try it but For some reason I am against the limeade addition. Has any one done this with just the hops and zest? Also i was looking to use WL320 instead becuase i dont want any clove or banana flavor since there is no limeade to hide it. Im really excited for teh Moteuka hop. Also has anyone used lemon zest instead of lime or does the lime add a bit more sweetness to it?

Latest posts

Back