Is my hose okay to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan on bottling a beer in a couple of days. Yesterday I just happened to take a look at my syphon hose. It isn't clear like it always was before, it is somewhat cloudy/foggy. When I last used it about a week and a half ago I ran a star san solution through it and then put it away. I know there was no beer stored in it. Could this fogginess be the result of the star san?

I tried running a lot of water through the house and the cloudiness didn't go away. I ran some of the water into a glass and it looked, smelled, and tasted fine. The hose also smells fine. I am still a newbie and this is the only hosing I own at this point. I would have a hard time getting to my LHBS this week but really want to bottle Tuesday night.

Do you think I'll be okay or should I wait until I can get some new tubing? Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'm sure it's from the Star-San bro! As long as you sanitize it before use... You should be golden!!!

:mug:

I agree with davidr2340, but hoses eventually will need to be replaced. They are cheap. I don't take a chance when I am in doubt.

depending on the size go to walmart and pick up a rifle cleaning kit. 1/4 in hose is perfect for say .243 cal brushes( just use the cotton wrapped ones or the patch holders)
1/4 in=.22-.243
3/8 in=.357-.38
1/2 in=.45-.50

eriklupust said:
depending on the size go to walmart and pick up a rifle cleaning kit.

If you have one already, fine. But for the cost of a cleaning kit you could buy a lifetime's worth of hose.

There's nothing going through your siphon hose that shouldn't rinse clean with hot water. That and some sanitizer should be good. If you start doing any sort of scrubbing, you risk scratching the inside of the tube, which is an invitation to infection.

rifle kits go for @10 bucks and i said use the cotton swabs not the wire brush
wasn't meant to be a long term solution just part of cleaning ritual

due to the negative charge of plastic in the hose, it's attracting the detergent in star-san.

over time it will attract a fair amount of detergent. I think cleaning in something like PBW would help remove the detergent clinging to the hose walls.

and I also agree you should replace hoses annually..probably more often if you brew a LOT. 33 cents a foot isn't much.

Thanks everyone for your advice. From what most have said I should be okay. I'll be sure to be careful about sanitation.

As many of you said hoses are cheap. I plan on replacing the hose as soon as I can. I just wondered if it would be okay to get me by. It is just that I am very busy at work this week and I won't be able to get to my LHBS for at least a week or so. I guess I'm just eager to get it into bottles.

Thanks again for the advice!

Steve

18 cents a foot at lowes...... bleach water, hot rinse, iodophor good for about two months.

buy new hose ;)

Back