New Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics. So you don't sparge the rice, huh? Makes sense.:D

I want to make a sake, but it'll probably have to wait until wintertime.

Does it clear up for you or do you drink it cloudy?

I was in Korea last year and had a rice beer called "dongdongju" that was pretty interesting. It had rice particles floating in it and was brown. Wish I had some now.:D ;)

It's like fermenting corn, you cook it and ferment the mash. I'm thinking about trying an all-corn beer by cooking the crushed corn with hops, then fermenting the whole mess. The whiskey sites I've looked at, say the corn can take three weeks, which is about what a sake takes.

I think I have a chance making sake in Summer since I am on colder Cape Cod area and I have a basement now. Only way homemade sake can become clear is by decanting after chilling or use a beer filter. Nigori means cloudy but I heard samurai slang for nigori is crazy milk. After trying professional nigori I am inspired to improve my sake and not use the beer filter I bought on ebay. I can't wait to try current batch because I made my own koji. Storebought koji smells bland compared to my homemade koji.

Fermenting corn? I want to know how your brew tastes. PBS says Americans eat more corn than Mexicans because all American processed food uses corn.

Latest posts

Back