Longtime lurker, new member

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.C.

Reaction score
Hi Home brew community! I'm new here.... I've been brewing for ~3 years now (Covid hobby) in the Pittsburgh area.
Finally have some questions that I can just look up and easily find, so time to make an account.

I brew 5g all-gain batches roughly once per month on an Anvil 10.5 with supplemental Hot Rod+Inkbird controller.
Fermenting in either Anvil Buckets or a 7g BB X2 Jacketed Unitank with a chicken wire n' duct tape glycol chiller.
Keggin', carbin', and servin' with an Edgestar Kegerator.
Still progressing (slowly) with my knowledge of the biology and chemistry of things. Looking forward to learning more about the hobby.

-bc

Welcome to the community! Sounds like you jumped in head first!
I'd say rapidly spun up. Started with stove top Brewer's Best kits and plastic buckets and glass carboys... Then took the plunge on the Foundry and went all grain with a Fermonster and eventually craigslist Anvil buckets. The most recent plunge was for the X2.... and the planned plunge is for a glycol chiller that doesn't look like it's about to burn my house down and isn't full of rusty water.

-bc

Hi Home brew community! I'm new here.... I've been brewing for ~3 years now (Covid hobby) in the Pittsburgh area.
Finally have some questions that I can just look up and easily find, so time to make an account.

I brew 5g all-gain batches roughly once per month on an Anvil 10.5 with supplemental Hot Rod+Inkbird controller.
Fermenting in either Anvil Buckets or a 7g BB X2 Jacketed Unitank with a chicken wire n' duct tape glycol chiller.
Keggin', carbin', and servin' with an Edgestar Kegerator.
Still progressing (slowly) with my knowledge of the biology and chemistry of things. Looking forward to learning more about the hobby.

-bc
I also started brewing during Covid with an Anvil 10.5 and ferment using an Inkbird, have a fridge turned kegerator that holds two corny kegs, but my Anvil doesn’t heat up as fast as it used to. Thinking of getting a kettle and burner to speed things up and still mash in the Anvil. Thoughts?

I also started brewing during Covid with an Anvil 10.5 and ferment using an Inkbird, have a fridge turned kegerator that holds two corny kegs, but my Anvil doesn’t heat up as fast as it used to. Thinking of getting a kettle and burner to speed things up and still mash in the Anvil. Thoughts?
Hmmm if it's not heating up fast and you're using 110v power lines then first make sure the switch isn't set to 220v. That will cause slow heating.

Is the switch for that near the power button down at the bottom of the unit?
The switch is at the rear of the unit in back. It should be labeled and should have a protective piece of metal bracket covering it.

The Foundry manual should have a diagram.

Hmmm if it's not heating up fast and you're using 110v power lines then first make sure the switch isn't set to 220v. That will cause slow heating.
I checked and the top half is pushed in, seemingly indicating 110v . It takes
A couple hours to get from 170° to 211°

Back